Chapter 23: Smiling again.

Sophie’s POV

SMASH!

That sounds like a broken plate hitting the floor. I look up from my laptop and set it on my bed to go investigate. Luke probably broke another plate when he was trying to make himself lunch. I get off my bed and walk towards the kitchen. Sure enough there Luke was trying to pick up the pieces of broken glass.

“I can explain.” He says.

I gesture with my hand for him to continue.

“You see I was just minding my own business making myself a sandwich when all of  the sudden this plate comes fly out from under my sandwich and hits the floor, crazy I know.” Luke tells me.

I roll my eyes and walk back to my room. Luke and I have spent a lot more time together lately. The boys are never home because they’re doing a concert, or signing, or some famous person thing. Niall and Liam are the only two that have talked to me. Zayn and Harry just make gestures towards me and Louis doesn’t even acknowledge my existence. That just makes my theory of them being forced to take me back even stronger.

I’ve researched more and more about being mute and in my case there is a chance I could gain my voice back again. No one has said anything about Anna. After the day I got back here the only thing I heard is they are not going to have a funeral for her because only Luke and I knew her. It makes my heartbreak thinking Anna isn’t going to be sent off in the proper way but no one listens to a girl who can’t talk.

Louis signed me up for sign language classes every Monday and Wednesday after I finish school. I hate to think that’s the only way I could ever speak to people again. If things were normal I would probably going to Mabel’s Academy for girls again with Laykin, but it’s not. The boys thought it was a good idea for me right now to take online classes. So that’s what I do. 6 hours a day. It’s not that lonely though. Luke takes the classes with me.

He always starts his classes later than me though because he refuses to wake up in the morning. The other boys talk to him though, I think they think of him as a little brother. Which is cool with me, I need my “family” to like my best friend. I check the clock 2:30, I started my classes around eight a.m. so I should be done 3:30-4. The only good thing about this whole situation is I get to go to school in my pajamas and eat whenever I want and pee and poop whenever I want.

            It still really hurts that Louis, my dad, won’t talk to me. I’m tempted to go talk to him myself, or I guess go write to him myself. Louis is going to take the sign language classes with me because one of my guardians has to learn sign language also. I really wanted to Luke to take the classes with me but I’m afraid to ask. I begin to work more on my schoolwork when someone comes into my room. I look up to see Louis standing in the threshold of my doorway.

“Uh, hi.” He says awkwardly.

I nod my head in acknowledgment.

He walks over and sits down on the edge of my bed.