Chapter Five: Mementos

Author's Note

I thought I published this chapter like a month ago- come to find that it's been sitting in my drafts for nearly two months! I feel awful, I'm so sorry guys, for the wait and for the fact that it's a pipsqueak chapter! 

Marmalade was perfectly content in trailing behind, ahead, and all around the moving duo of man and woman. 

In one strong hand, Rowena held a torch dipped in kerosene gas and the other, she settled it on the butt of her gun. Sal followed her footsteps, sometimes forcing all three of them to a stop to rejuvenate themselves with water from a thawing spring or a few bites of his own homemade deer jerky. 

Marmalade steered clear of Rowena though, only inching into her personal space if beckoned or tricked by the promise of food. By nature, the dog was curious- she sniffed everything that her nose would come in contact with, but when she attempted to take a long whiff of Rowena, the only scent she caught was the whispers of something much more dangerous than a frail human like her. The remnants caused her to duck her head in submission and curl between Sal's legs, seeking safety from her owner, who seemed oblivious of the human threat.

Rowena wasn't bothered by the animal's obvious dislike towards her, most livestock, big or small, kept their distance from Rowena in a way that spoke of her past. She didn't exactly smell like a human anymore, she hadn't for almost two decades. 

"We're stopping," the first thing said in the stretch of two miles came from Sal. The young man stood with his dog's face between his gloved hands and his dark eyes already searching for something that could help create a fire- even though the attempt was practically useless. Covington has been blanketed with darkness for the past eight weeks, the sun wasn't due to rise for another three, and Sal did not have vision fit for the dark. 

"We've only been walking for four hours-" Rowena began with anger evident in her voice. If Sal wanted to accompany her, and he did if his consistent insisting told her anything, than he would have to keep up with the harsh travelling conditions or turn back now. 

"Four hours, Miss Maverick- we all need a break, so when we really need the strength, we will have it," he spoke. He  took out his own light- a lantern relying on batteries- and two others that lit up the surrounding twenty feet. It reviled nothing but endless and clear stretches of snow. 

"The forest is about a quarter of a mile west of us, and if we are where I believe we are, my family's hunting cabin is just a mile deeper. Of course, it'll be cold, but it offers us shelter," Salix assured the older woman as his gloved hand wrapped around the muzzle of Marmalade in a show of affection. 

Rowena opened her mouth in attempt to talk herself out of resting, but snapped her lips shut when she realized how utterly exhausted she actually was. 

Sal grinned at the obvious victory that came with her lips suddenly morphing into a tight line, obviously displeased by having to halt for the night, but intelligent enough to know that without the halt, neither of them- or Marmalade, for that matter- would ever make it to their destination. 

"We rest for eight hours," Rowena told him, and tried not to let her teeth chatter as she did. Alaska was cold during winter, but with the absence of light, it seemed ever colder- harsher

"Eight hours is just enough," Salix grinned. "We'll pick up any wood that can start a fire so I can really warm up the cabin," without another word, he pushed his face cover back over his mouth- the thick yarn proving to be as efficient as a muzzle, and Rowena was grateful for that. The boy was kind, but most of the words he said were accompanied by reasons why they needed to backtrack or rest- reminding Rowena she wasn't accustomed to the rough terrain like the young man was.