Chapter 44 - Vicki's POV

Luke stopped at the tree-line and ran his hands through his hair angrily.

"Well come on; what did he do this time?" Vicki asked.

"He let you go off on your own!" Luke exclaimed turning round to face her.

Vicki frowned; that was hardly a reason for him to want to punch Theo's lights out.

"He didn't let me do anything, because in case you haven't noticed, I am my own person. Besides, you wanted Theo to trust me so why do you scold him when he does."

"Because that's not what I meant and he knew it."

"Oh grow up Luke, I knew it just as well as he did and he wasn't the one to make the decision. I chose to go and he just permitted it; so it's me you should be blaming, not Theo. You know full well that if Emma and I wanted to wander off then we'd do so with or without his permission, and he has no more control over us than you do. If you're going to trust me, then you trust all of me and that includes my judgement."

"I do trust you."

"Then you have no reason to act like such an overprotective fool."

"I have every reason!"

"And how did you work that one out?" Vicki countered.

"Because I love you."

Their eyes locked intensely and Luke stepped forward, taking a gentle hold of her face and kissing her all in one move. Her hands naturally rested against his chest, and his body was warm and comforting. She found herself kissing him back and then he pulled away.

It was a big step for her to have kissed him back; it meant giving him permission to get to know everything about her and only now, did she realise why Jake and Emma were so easily carried away; speaking of which...

Luke followed her gaze to see what was so distracting and chuckled, making Vicki bite her lip to keep from kissing him again - her emotions were definitely out of control!

She led Luke back to the camp, letting him think it was to give Jake and Emma some privacy. It was actually so that she wouldn't be left alone with him and could put off exposing herself for a little bit longer. It made her vulnerable to have someone know all her secrets; it entailed handing over her armour and trusting that they wouldn't hurt her.

That was the funny thing about love though: it left the most defensive person wanting to hand over their armour.

"Are you feeling better now?" Aeola asked, as they entered the room.

"If you mean, have I stopped wanting to punch Theo? Then no."

"Well for the record, it's surprisingly therapeutic," Jake replied and Vicki turned to see that he and Emma had followed them in.

"Stop it Jake," Emma said, smacking him lightly on the arm.

"I'm just saying that if there's anyone here who's not already punched Theo, then it's definitely worth it."

Emma shook her head but couldn't help smiling and Vicki laughed quietly.

"All those who have yet to hit Theo, raise your hand," Jake declared teasingly.

Vicki raised her hand along with Mitch, Shannon and Benedetto.

"Cassie that means you," Emma whispered.

"No it doesn't; I hit him the other day."

"What?"

"He was annoying me so I knocked him into the ditch."