The Waning Popularity of Comic Books

I remember the time when comic books were very popular here in the Philippines. Comics was at the peak of its popularity here on 80's and early 90's, and I'm referring to our local comic books, ten to fifteen pages back-to-back of a variety of stories under different genres (horror, fantasy, tear-jerking drama, etc.), which rivaled the action-packed Marvel comics. And the readers ranged from children to teeners to adults as well, most of which belong to the "masses".

Comics even taught me how to read! Up to this day, my mother still (proudly) admits that fact. I remember the time when we would always quarrel as to who should be the first one to snag the favorite comic book mother brings home from the market. It even aroused inspiration on me to draw comic characters and even make my very own comic book out of scratch papers!

Okay, too many flashbacks here. Nowadays, the popularity of comic books is more like a "falling star". Manga is the new kid on the block. Yes, that could be true. Comic books cater to more matured readers now. Marvel Comics is now part of the "collector's item". Even local comic books in the country try to ride the popular bandwagon, with characters that resemble Sailormoon or Naruto in every page. Anime dominates the boobtube afternoon slot in the Philippines. After the success of Sailormoon in the late 90's here, "AniMania" is the new coined word that they use to describe the growing number of its audiences, which ranges from children to budding teeners and to adults as well.

I consider Comic books and Manga as a Pop Art. Like Pop Music (forgive my analogy), their popularity could only last for a short life span, or until people stopped patronizing it. People, especially the so-called Gen-X, are now harder to please, hence the ever-changing technology. They always look for more-fun, more-exciting and multi-dimensional kind of entertainment.

No more rooms to let one's creative imagination fly, like Marvel Comic's heroes.

(To gain more insights on Philippine comic books or "komiks", you can visit this website: http://komiklopedia.wordpress.com/)