28. Secretary

I slam my locker shut and begin walking away from my hallway. I adjust my school books on my arms and dodge some kids in the hallway. "Skylar! Skylar! Wait up!" Yells a voice behind me.

I glance over my shoulder and see Brock running through crowds of teenagers. I wait for him to catch up, pausing at the staircase. Teenagers push past me, making stumble a few times. Brock finally catches up.

He still has a electric mohawk. Literally. His neon green eyes meet mine. "Hey, Madison." He says, placing a metal hand on my shoulder.

I immediately tense under his touch. Me and Brock just met. We aren't really close... but he did save my life. Brock doesn't seem to feel my tension. "Hey." I mumble. Brock grins. "Where you going? Maybe we can hang out some time." He says. Alarm bells go off in my mind. Hang out? With Brock? If he likes me...

I shake my head at that silly thought. Who would like you? Guys don't just magically fall at your feet. I think to myself. Brock wouldn't like me. He's a tough guy. No one would like...

"Uh sure," I answer before I can let my thoughts wander off even more. "But not right now. I have a job now." I try not to sound pride but I fail miserably

. Brock arches a brow. "Really? You're saying this just to make an excuse or...?" I chuckle as I shake my head. "No, I'm not. I literally got a job yesterday." I say. We both begin to walk up the stairs.

Brock nods. "Okay then, good for you. Where can we meet up when you're done?" He ask. I shrug. "I honestly don't know when I'm going to be done. But... maybe around eight? Where do you wanna hang out?" Brock winces. "Eight is kinda bad for me. I'm always hosting parties." He says. I roll my eyes playfully. "Sure."

Brock winks at me as he begins to walk away. "You know me. The dude with all the epic parties." He says. I scoff. "Yeah, sure." I say. Brock gives me a slight wave. "See ya around, Skylar." He says. I salute him back and he disappears into the maze of halls. I emerge on the first floor of the building.

I look around as I scratch my head. Where did Jade tell me to meet her...? Oh. Right outside the training room doors. I take my time walking there, observing the small things around me. The small cracks on the walls. The dust on the corner of a wall. The pictures that hang on the wall.

My finger fiddle with the papers sticking out from my binder. I don't bother getting a backpack, thanks to my wings situation. I just carry my things in my hands.

I did all my homework in my classes, knowing today I would be busy with Gabriel. I finally get to the entrance of the training room. Jade is already standing there. She nods slightly in acknowledgement.

I try not to be bothered by the fact of what happened yesterday. Jade is... so strange. She acts like smiling or laughing is such a sin. I've never seen her face do anything other than a small smile. "Hey." I mumble, leaning against the doors. Jade folds her arms. "You came on time." She says. I look at her. "Of course I did."

I notice her decorated left arm. That henna seems like it never fades. The tips of her fingers to her shoulder blades is just covered in designs. Really cool.

Today's she wears a black tank top with capri leggings. Her silky black hair is up in a high ponytail. I frown. I can't do that with my short hair.

When I tie it up, pieces of hair sticks out. Jade looks at me with her jade colored eyes. "Alright, Madison. Lets go, Gabriel has a meeting to go to." She says, jerking her chin toward the other side of the hallway. I nod. As we begin to walk, Jade begins to go over some basic rules with me.

"You will be given a set of passwords, usernames, and other confidential things. When we get to his office, you will sign some papers indicating that you will won't tell a single soul everything that happens around you in the office. If you do, there will be some consequences." Jade says. I nod.