Three - Bonds

Exams, assessments, personal issues...... don't we all know what I'm talking about.

Also, loving The Great Gatsby Soundtrack.

~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Three

The carriage lurched as it departed the Paxton townhouse and Esme watched her brother closely. Obviously, being siblings, she liked to think they knew each other very well and she knew her brother had always been quite selfish. After his hasty departure from the room the other night, Esme had to be snapped out of her bewildered gaze by the Doctor, who bade her goodnight. Must have been the sleeplessness, she had told herself and didn’t think much of it as she went to bed.

Today, James seemed very much on edge and withdrawn, almost saddened. His dark eyes were withdrawn and visible worry lines marred his face. She wondered what could have possibly occurred for her beloved brother to act like so.

"Please excuse my poor preparation," Doctor Biochetti said before stepping out of the carriage. "I have forgotten the files up in my room. I will be right back".

Now alone with James, she opened her mouth to speak up, but he cut in first without meeting her gaze.

“I know what you are thinking, sister,” Esme regarded him with a soft smile. “The bodies were startling weren’t they? In whole truth, those children aren’t why I am doing this. Of course you already know that." He took a deep breath before continuing.

“It’s for Uncle. All my life he was the only I man respected enough to think of him as a father. I do not remember Father, being only ten years of age when that rat bastard left us. Uncle was always there for me. He taught me how to play bowls, did you know that? When I had no father he was there to provide the love I needed. I believe it is now my duty, no; I will make it my life to finish what he started. His life’s work is now my life’s work.” He looked up at his sister, who was facing away from him with tears in her beautiful sky blue eyes.

“Jay, you’re right. I miss Uncle terribly so. I don’t know what to say,” she clasped his hands in hers “We will help these children. Do whatever we can, for Uncle”.

The siblings shared an understanding smile before the carriage door opened again and the Doctor shuffled in, “Alright, to Smithfield Market, driver”.

------------

As usual Smithfield Market was filthy. The scent of fresh and rotting meat assaulted the trio as soon as they neared the Renaissance styled building. Their vehicle stopped behind a wagon full of sheep squeezed into hurdles like figs into a drum, laid down upon each other. Xerxes stuck his head out of the carriage window and immediately regretted it. The putrid steam evaporating off the mass of creatures and animals for sale mingled with the unwashed, dirty and sweaty odour of the butchers and countrymen. Inside the carriage, Esme was already breathing heavily through a pouch of pot pourri as Niccolo evidently recoiled from the open window.

“God in heaven, this is no place for people of your status, my Lord and Lady,” he said and Esme widened her eyes before replying. “It is fine, Doctor. We are not prejudiced. If I may ask so, why are we here?”

The Paxtons turned towards the Doctor. “This is the first stop on our journey, the closest I could find. There have been reportings of several odd cases of thievery. To name one, a butcher one day noticed a young girl take a cage of chickens from a neighbouring seller. So he followed her and kept his eye on the cage, but when he rounded a corner down the next street, the butcher saw the cage in the arms of a man, no girl in sight. When talking to the police, the butcher assured them that he followed closely and spoke the truth. Over the course of a few weeks, similar sightings have occurred with missing livestock and apparently random people stealing them. Of course the case was closed as no one could definitely give a proper explanation. However, this relatively small but unusual case has proved enough to capture our attention."

James cut in, “Alright then, but what are we going to do about it?”

“If you may, my Lord,” Biochetti began, but James cut him off quickly with a smile.

“James, please. We will be working together for a long time now, no need for formalities and if you would allow then, Doctor, I shall call you Nero?” The Doctor hesitantly smiled and nodded before he took Xerxes outstretched hand.

“Well, my L- James,” he began “we begin with you going outside first and see if you can sense and unusual activity. I trust you know that when I saw unusual I mean look for a person with special abilities” James nodded, slightly amused. “I will be following you into the market and search. Lady, I believe you already know what you are going to do?” He looked at Esme expectantly and she nodded serenely. James watched the exchange in interest, and slight confusion, before shrugging and exiting the coach.

Not a few meters from the entrance, Biochetti exclaimed “Good God, this place is disgusting”. The ground was blanketed with filth and excrement, the morning fog and reeking steam rising from the cattle melted together making breathing a job itself. James chuckled, “Clearly this is your first time at Smithfield Market, Niccolo.” They exchanged another glance, with undisguised displeasure, and together plunged into the throng of bodies and filth.

~~~~~~~~~

So sorry it is so short. Writers block is the enemy. Will get into a routine very soon. 

Sister here: My ass.