Ryder Chapter 1

Ryder is 6' 5" has shoulder length black hair, ice blue eyes, trimmed beard and mustache, and has a tattoo of an eagle with its wings spread out on his back. He also wears an earring. Ryder always wears his black jeans, boots and a denim shirt. That is his normal "uniform" for working his ranch. Well, his and his half brother's ranch. His father was never a man that could stay faithful to his wife. So Ryder was his bastard son and only a year older than his half brother, Jason.

      Jason and Ryder were close, even though they had different mothers and they both despised their dad. When he died he left the ranch to both of them. Jason had the main house, Ryder preferred the smaller home he grew up in.

      This was the day Ryder was dreading, he was supposed to go to the main house and meet his brother's new wife and her sixteen year old daughter, Cheyenne. So after working all in the heat and dust of the day, he went home and showered. Not really caring to much about making a good impression, he dressed in his usual clothes, grabbed his hat and went out the door. He decided to take his motorcycle instead of his truck.

      After pulling up to the main house he slowly walked up the path and raised his hand to knock. Before he could the door opened to reveal the most beautiful creature he had ever seen. He knew he was in trouble when she looked up in surprise and he saw her eyes. He was stunned and speechless, until she turned and ran from him. He stepped instead and yelled, "Jason, I'm here."

      Jason came out of the kitchen with a pretty blonde and said, "hey Ryder, come in, come in, this is my wife Layla. Layla, this is my brother Ryder." Ryder shook Layla's hand and smiles saying, "nice to finally meet you Layla."

Layla smiles and says, "it's nice to meet you to, my daughter is around here somewhere"

Ryder chuckles and says, "I think she ran upstairs, I scared her accidentally and she took off."

Layla rolled her eyes and said she would go find her while the brothers talked. Then walked off to the back of the house.

Jason said, "Well, come on into the kitchen, there is something I want to talk to you about."

Ryder lay his hat on the entryway table and followed Jason. After grabbing a beer for himself and one for Ryder, Jason sat down at the island and started, "Ok, I need a favor." He noticed Ryder start shaking his head and Jason held his hand up and said, "Just hear me out. I don't ask for much but I need your help. Cheyenne is sixteen, but she is a very successful artist. She's had shows all over the country, but she's extremely shy and would rather be in her studio then anywhere else."

Ryder said, "Ok, but what does this have to do with me?"

"She's had some threats from a stalker, we are leaving tomorrow for our honeymoon and she refuses to go with us. The only other way to keep her safe is if you can be her bodyguard."

"You know I don't do that anymore, not after what happened last time." Ryder replied.

Jason said, "I know that was a rough situation, and you were cleared of any wrong. I trust you with my daughters life, man. I don't know where else to turn. The police won't do anything, because she hasn't been injured. I don't want to wait for that to happen. Please, Ryder, I'm desperate."

Ryder sat there for a while and thought about it. He didn't really want to do this but he also didn't want the little one to be hurt so he said, "Okay, I'll do it, but I'm calling my men in, she needs to know that she can't run and hide from me." After finishing he hears a soft voice say, "I'm sorry for running. I won't do it again."

Ryder turns and says, "Thank you Cheyenne, do you know what's going on?"

When she doesn't answer he turns to Jason and says, "Let me have some privacy please. She won't tell me anything with you all around."

Layla starts to protest, but Jason takes her hand and says to Ryder, "Alright, you two can go to Cheyenne's studio." He turns to Cheyenne and says, " Sweetie, take Ryder and show him your studio."

She nods her head holds her hand out to Ryder shyly. He takes her tiny hand in his large one and follows her.