Chapter 1: Awakening

There I was, laying on my stomach with a polyester blanket over me with no recollection of what had happened in the past. I got up and sauntered my way over to the window while rubbing my head in discomfort shortly after. I had such a headache. I opened the curtains and the sunlight shed its rays onto me as if I was going to ascend into heaven.

The bright white light blinded me for a second. I noticed that I started seeing yellow. I turned and looked at my bed and my pair of blue jeans that I left on the floor. I looked outside, there it was, yellow as a character from the Simpsons. I realized it wasn't me, it actually was yellow outside. What happened during the time I was out, how did I manage to get knocked out and wake up in my bed? The air outside was yellow, but it wasn't too thick like a fog you could still see clearly.

I went downstairs step by step so I could ask my parents what was going on, but I hid behind a corner when i saw them all dirty and carrying weapons. They were emptying boxes and boxes of what looked like cans of beans and tomato sauce. They were acting so strange. My dad was all filthy, dirt across his face, so was my mom. I heard my dad say,

“How long can we go on like this? How long can we stay here?”

 He dropped one of the boxes next to the others.

“We have to stay here, you know why. We can't let him transform! We just can’t!“ She started sobbing while covering her face.

Transform? What did she mean by that? Why are they so dirty? Seems like there is only one explanation, my parents are serial killers and robbers. I tried sneaking back upstairs like a sneaky mouse, but there always has to be 1 creaky board that makes noise, it’s like a rule for architects. That made me stop in my tracks, so i kept eavesdropping, but my parents heard it.

“Who’s there?” my dad said as he reached for a gun. “Hey Buddy, I've got an arsenal of weapons down here, I suggest you come out before I make you,” My dad yelled from downstairs.

What the hell? Why does my dad have an arsenal of weapons? He’s a software developer for god’s sake.

“Mark what if raiders found us?” She wiped away a tear with her finger.

What the hell are raiders? What is going on here? I slowly ran upstairs and hid in my room.

“Don't worry Lauren, I’m going up there to make sure they're not here.” He cocked his shotgun as he marched up the steps.

I swiftly moved towards the bathroom and hid in the shower with the curtains closed.

Each step my dad took let out a faint squeak that got progressively louder. I could hear it from the bathroom. Is my dad going to kill me? Has he gone insane like Jack Torrance from the Shining? I stayed quiet while standing behind the shower curtain. I accidentally slipped and fell while bringing the curtains down with me the yellow duck shower curtain. As I fell, it let out a huge bang that resonated across the universe. I was 100% sure I was dead when I heard my dad trying to kick the door down.

“Hey, who’s in there? Come out now!” He kicked the door down.

When he finally managed to break the door down, I was like, this is it I’m a goner for sure.

As my dad turned the light on and saw me, He froze like a kid playing musical chairs.

“Aaron….? You're awake? Oh my god, I'm so happy to see you moving, I thought you were done for son, but your mother insisted we keep you in case you woke up.”

I was so relieved, I thought my dad was going to go Torrance on my ass. I could finally get some answers on what the hell is going on.

“Dad, I thought you were going to kill me. Why do you have guns? What’s with all the overstocking of food? Tell me I need to know!”