Audacity - Introduction

My phone started to ring...

"Livin' life in the fast lane

Movin' at the speed of life and I can't slow down

Only got a gallon in the gas tank

But I'm almost at the finish line, so I can't stop now

I don't really know where I'm headed, just enjoyin' the ride

Just gon' roll 'til I drop and ride 'til I die

I'm livin' life in the fast lane (Pedal to the metal)"

It's pretty interesting how ringtones can give away so much about a person's personality. I wanted to sing along with my ringtone but I noticed "Savannah calling" flash across the screen and immediately picked it up!

I let out a huge sigh

"Shoot away"

"Is it ready yet? I have to send in the final draft in less than three hours!" Savannah nearly screamed.

"Almost...I'm finished. I just have to edit everything".

"I WANT IT IN FIFTY MINUTES or you're fired!" She really did scream that time.

"Harsh!"

"I mean it, Cynthia."

I started to panic a little; I was nowhere close to finishing the article. I had four days to finish it but procrastination got the best of me.

I tied my long hair in bun trying to get as much hair possible out of my face so I could concentrate more. I sat there glaring into the white computer screen but nothing came to me. I was having writers block.

I worked full time for political magazine called "Mella" It's pretty famous across the country. I landed this job by pure serendipity. The whole thing happened so fast. As they always say, everything happens for a reason and I still have to find out mine.

The political world is pretty close to hell. Gangsters, thugs, homicide, white collar crimes...you name it we have it. Politicians may always talk about transparency, but let me tell you this. In their world, transparency just means not getting caught with gruesome crimes.

I have been working on a top secret case for the past few months. I have the urge to write about it but my boss doesn't agree with me. She keeps telling me that if I publish anything related to that issue, I'll obviously be fired and there is a pretty good chance that I'd be killed by "them".

I am not really scared about being killed, puh-lease, if I worried about my life then there was no way I'd even agree to do this job. Every time I put my life at risk adrenaline flows through me like there is no tomorrow! I personally enjoy that feeling, it's irreplaceable. The only characteristic that I hate about myself is that I am a hopelessly indecisive. I have a mini war in my mind even before I choose what flavor ice-cream I want to eat.

One more thing, if you already haven't figured it out, I am easily distracted. When I don't concentrate I have the attention span of a 7 year old, which reminds me, I have to get back to writing the article.

I looked through files on my computer screen and found a few notes on the governor. I read through all the information a few times and started to write.

Writing came pretty easily to me, as soon as I figured out what I was writing about, there was no stopping me. I sit at the computer for hours and forget about everything in the outside world.

Within 45 minutes, I finished the rough draft and looked through everything a couple of time, attached the file to my email and sent it to Savannah.

Now that my work was done, I wanted to go do a little shopping spree. I dressed up in clothing that I presumed to be clean and I walked out the door.

Got in the car, put on some music, put the key in the ignition and started off to the mall.

As I was looking through the store, I caught someone staring at me. He was clothed in peculiar attire. I was slightly confused, who comes into a mall dressed in an expensive suit? I noticed him signaling to another man on the second floor. I pretended not to notice but caught a quick glance at the other man. It was Neil!

My breath caught up and my heart was breathing fast, it was the adrenaline! Was he on to me? Had his spies been following me for the past few months? What if he knew that I know all of his secrets? Would I be dead? Do I tell Savannah? He shouldn't be allowed to roam around like this, he was on house arrest!

I cant wait till you guys read the next chapter!

Like it? Hate it? Vote and Comment (Vomment) please!

Btw, was this chapter short?