Meeting at Midnight

It was midnight, and the castle slept. Everyone besides Harry, of course. He slipped, invisibly, through the familiar halls to a large room he knew all too well. He appeared at the huge white doors. Whispering "Alohamora!" Quickly and quietly he entered the wing and ran straight to the bed were his boyfriend lay asleep. At first, he couldn't bring himself to touch Draco, in fear of hurting or waking him. He's already done enough, he thought, he couldn't hurt him again. But after many moments of trying not to grimace as he looked at the ugly scars that were covered with large white bandages that seemed to cover his whole torso, Harry reached out and ran his hands through Draco's hair. Despite days in the hospital wing, it was glossy and soft, as it always had been. His fingers ran down the boys pale cheeks as Harry caressed Draco's face, missing everything about him.
"I'm so sorry, Draco." he whispered, closing his eyes as the tears ran down his cheeks "So, so sorry."
When Draco's eyelids began to flutter, Harry moved swiftly to get up and leave when a skinny hand caught his arm
"Please don't go."
The word seemed to ring out and echo in the silence, Harry turned very slowly. As he met Draco's damp eyes, something within him changed. He'd never felt such an urge to protect someone as he felt in that moment about Draco.
"Draco, I'm so sorry!" He grabbed Draco's hand from the hospital bed, cradling it.
"Please forgive me" he pleaded, letting his tears wet the gown
"Harry," Draco weak breath tickled the side of Harry face "you didn't do anything wrong"

They stayed up until dawn, watching the sun replace the moon in the sky. They talked too, about everything and nothing. But towards the early hours of the morning, things became less light-hearted.
"You know it can never be like it was." Harry murmured, not daring to meet Draco's eyes.
"But I need you. I can't do this without you." Draco placed his thumb and forefinger under Harry's chin and tried lifting his face but Harry pulled away, keeping his gaze solely on the floor

"Sometimes the things we need are what tear us apart..." Harry said, finally looking up at Draco, who's bottom lip was quivering and looked like he was on the verge of tears 

"No..." He said, strong-willed and demanding "no, no, no!" He repeated, getting up from the hospital bed and pacing in front of it. 
"Draco get back into bed, you're hurt." Harry insisted, trying to grab his arm bit Draco just pulled from his grasp. 
"Harry, please don't leave me." Draco stopped pacing and stared into Harry's eyes.
"I can't hurt you again, I can't ever do that to you again." Harry looked away and went to leave but Draco grabbed his shoulder and turned to kiss him. As they pulled away Draco hugged Harry, whispering into his shirt
"Let's run away together after this year lets just go and never look back." But Harry pulled away slightly and looked at him. 
"But-" Harry began
"We can start over again, away from here, away from Him." Draco's eyes were light and full excitement.
"But Sirius, and Remus!" Harry asked, letting go of Draco and stepping back "I can't just leave..."
"But we could be together, we could start fresh, Harry." Draco tried to step towards Harry but he just stepped back,
"I'm not sure I want to..." Harry was still looking at the floor as he turned and went to walkout
"But what does that mean?" Draco called after him
"It means things can't be the same" Harry turned around to face his former boyfriend "We'll never be the same after what happened." And then Harry left.

Always
S.