Chapter 1: Don't Make This Easy

Rian's POV

The phone rings and I pick up, yawning.
"This is Rian Dawson." I answer, checking the time. Jesus, 2:30 am.
"Hello Mr. Dawson, I'm Sarah Frederick. I just wanted to inform you that your father Johnathan Richards has suggested that you meet him. He's at the Oregon State Hospital. Have a good day Mr. Dawson, goodbye." She says, causing me to wrench myself out of bed and call my mum. She picks up on the third ring.
"Hi honey." She says cheerfully.
"Why'd I just get a call from a lady in Oregon telling me that my father Johnathan Richards asked for me to visit him?" I say, the words coming out in a rush. The line is silent.
"Well, you see... when your father and I were taking a break I went to see my sister in Portland. I met a very kind, very handsome lawyer there, Johnathan. We were together for about a month when your father called and begged for me to return home. I left Portland and found out that I was pregnant after a week and told your father that it was his. I was hoping that you wouldn't find out like this..." she says, worry lacing her voice. I sigh, running a hand through my hair.

"I've got to meet him." I say, saying goodbye to my mother and hanging up, ordering a plane ticket for the first flight to Oregon and pack what I need.

-In the morning-

I put my suitcase in the trunk of the taxi and turn to the guys.
"You're sure you don't want us to go with you Ri?" Alex asks one last time. I nod, hugging them goodbye as I get into the taxi and leave for the airport. I board the plane and close my eyes, taking advantage of the London to Oregon flight.

-At The Hospital-

I get out of the taxi, gulping as I pay the driver. I take a deep breath and enter the building, going to the desk and ask for his room. I walk down the hall, noticing the patients. They're all terminal or on hospice. I find the room and hesitate before knocking. A young girl with tears running down her cheeks opens the door, wiping her eyes before looking up at me, her eyes going wide.

Shaylynne's POV

What the actual fuck? Why would Rian Dawson be here to visit dad?
"Uh... hi. I got a call yesterday and was told that my dad had asked to see me... It's fine for me to see him right?" He asks, his hands in his pockets. I nod, stumbling back out of the doorway to let him into the room. Mum and Jessica left an hour ago, so I didn't have to deal with them and now the only people in the room are Rian, myself, and our unconscious father. I take a seat and stare at him.
"So... who called you?" I ask, my voice hoarse.
"Sarah... Frederick I think." He says, looking at dad hesitantly. Dad's sister? How would she know Rian?
"I think my aunt was friends with her when my mum visited." He explains. I nod, starting to understand.
"I'm Rian, by the way." He says, coming over to me and sticking his hand out. I take his hand, blushing.

"I know." I say, wanting to put my face through a wall as soon as the words leave my mouth. He shakes it off, deeming me safe since I didn't start screaming when he walked into the room.

"So, why's he in here?" he asks, referring to our dad.

"Car crash. He was hit going through an intersection. Been in a coma for 4 months up until 2 days ago. The first thing he asked for was to see you." I explain, quiet. He nods.

"So are you his only other child, or...?" he asks, obviously wanting to know the family that he just discovered. I shake my head.

"No, I'm the youngest. Jessica is the oldest, she's 22, well, I guess now you're the oldest." I say, laughing awkwardly as I scratch the back of my neck. He nods.

"Oh, I'm Shaylynne by the way." I say, introducing myself to my new-found brother.

"Why aren't your mum and Jessica here?" he asks, curious.

"They don't talk to me anymore." I answer, looking down.

"Did something happen?" he asks, gently concerned. I nod, chuckling.

"More like someone."

"Do you mind filling me in? I'm kind of lost here with all of this." he says, sounding desperate. I sigh.

"I'd been dating this guy, Steve, for a while, just over a year I think. He was 4 years older than me. Seemed really nice at first, but after probably 3 months he started getting really possessive and would... hurt me whenever I would go out with friends. I played it off like I deserved it, I should've told him when I had plans and that he was just jealous. Then, 3 months before my 18th birthday he started to get worse, beating me whenever I didn't do something that he wanted. Then, in May, 2 months before my birthday he got really upset with me one night and he... he raped me. My parents didn't know that Steve had been abusing me and they didn't care enough to notice that I was being abused, so after he was arrested for assault and battery, drug trafficking, and rape I found out that I was pregnant. My mother kicked me out of the house and everyone disowned me, I had to drop out of school and move in with my best friend Clara who has an apartment downtown. I had my son, Jaxon Comet Richards 5 months ago on February 3. I called my dad to let him know and he's been seeing him as often as possible since, until the accident. My dad was the only one who didn't hate me after everything that happened." I say, looking down, tears in my eyes.

My words are met with silence and I look up, seeing Rian staring at me, his eyes clouded with tears that haven't seeped out.

"I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. I'll never leave you." he says, hugging me tightly. I cry, holding onto the one person who hasn't treated me like a whore with the exception of Clara.

"We're in each other's lives for the long run, okay?" he says, pulling away and looking at me. I nod, smiling.

"The guys will love you." he says, beaming. My eyes grow wide, but I smile, the fact that Rian Dawson is my brother still not completely cemented in my mind. The nurse comes into the room, letting us know that visiting hours are over and we leave the hospital, going to my apartment.

We get there and I let Rian in, giving him a blanket and pillow for the couch. As I turn to leave he places his hand on my shoulder. I turn around.
"Do you... do you mind me seeing Jaxon? I'll be quiet so that he won't wake up, I just want to see what my nephew looks like." He says, anxoius. I smile, nodding and bring him into Jaxon's nursery. He walks to the crib and peers in, seeing the infant. I can see that just by looking at him he's already melted. He turns to me and hugs me tightly. We leave the room and go our seperate ways to our sleeping accomodations.

_______________________________________
Hello :) this was just a random idea that I came up with. I hope you liked it and if you did, then please vote, share, and comment!
Thankyou for reading

Signing off,
The Author

How do you think the band is going to react?

The photo is of Shaylynne

Listening to "I'll Just Wait" by Emarosa

The song is "Jasey Rae" by the one and only All Time Low