Santore

Ay up! I'm new to this so I really do appreciate any critisism you guys may have about my work. Please do flag up anything you find. :) Thanks

- Mills x

            “PAPA! PAPA!” she yelled, leaping ecstatically across the frosty, white field toward a tall, broad man. Her thick black ringlets seemed to bounce effortlessly underneath a woollen, grey hat that matched the mittens hugging her tiny hands. The prettiest green eyes sat illuminated on her face. “MAMA! Papa’s home!”

            It seemed extraordinary how he was the father of the girl that was running toward him. His hooded amber eyes were unlike the smiling, green ones she boasted. His unruly platinum blond hair was a far cry from her jet black tresses. No matter how different they were, he valued her more than anyone or anything he knew.

            With one, big bound, she leaped into his outstretched arms. Grasping her tightly, he planted a kiss on her cheek. Her skin felt frozen under his lips. She had been anticipating his return for at least two hours. His eyebrows furrowed and he dropped his heavy gaze on the child in his arms.

            “Ellis, what have I told you never to do?” he asked the child.

            “But papa, I haven’t!” she replied, a smug expression swept over her face. “Well, not that much. I swear.”

            “Ellis, what have I told you?” he repeated, his voice rose slightly. As her gaze lowered, she tried in vain to stifle the tears that began to flood her vision.

            “You told me never to take advantage of the gifts I have been bestowed with by the Lord himself.” She said, sounding slightly more decomposed. “I am only permitted to use them when I enter the school and I learn their true value. I can only practice their use in the school grounds until I am of age.”

            Placing a burley hand under her chin, he lifted her head until their gaze met. His warm amber eyes had changed onto wild, white orbs. She could feel her own eyes transforming, she never liked how it felt as if her real eyes were being sheathed under their lids but she kept on staring until she could hear her father’s soul.

           “I know you’re excited, Freya, but you aren’t old enough yet. School is still a year away for you and until then you must abide by the rules of the empire. You have to, my child, even if I am the king.”

           He closed his eyes and both pairs of eyes changed back to their original state. He placed a kiss on her cheek before allowing her to jump down from his arms and run to her ma.