22. Under the Starlight

Chapter Twenty-Two

Under the starlight

Kate’s POV

  There are a lot of things happening in our Pack at the moment. First of all I’m still overwhelmed to be surrounded by my own Pack members. I was a rogue for so many years but I’m finally a part of a Pack at a close distance again. It’s hard to be part of it and hard to let people in. I’m slowly learning the steps of trust and Adam is such a cliff for me to cling onto when I need it.

  The Ninjan Pack took Jupiter’s presence with the deepest respect and raise his and Mary’s relationship to the skies. Mary’s heart condition took many with shock and they are morning for her sake. She made herself quite important with the gardening and many will miss her when she’s gone. I’ll miss her the most. She’s the second part of my soul.

  I’m not sure that I like sharing Jupiter with everyone. He was mine for so long that it is hard to let go. I don’t mind him being with Mary, but everyone is a bit much. I’m so greedy. I’ll never find a best friend like him again. We went through so much together and he even left his peaceful home for my sake. I’m not sure how he will become once Mary passes, but I will be there for him like he always was there for me.

  The future is so unsure. I wish I could look into it and know what’s going to happen. How will my baby boy tackle the world when he grows up? It’s been two and a half months since I returned to the Ninjan Pack. I already have a small bump showing my pregnancy. I gained weight and I find it easier to eat every day that passes.

  Alpha Bear finally started sharing his knowledge for herbs and working with them makes my soul calm. He was impressed by my skills and we have spent many hours together in his garden.

  Being with Leanne has taught me that eating is a joy and not a chore. She’s been good for me. We share the same views when it comes to violence and that makes me feel less like an alien among all these violent wolves. The Ninjan Wolf Spirits are making me stronger than I ever thought possible. It’s a pleasure to live and laugh with my family. The bitterness I carried around with is easier to forget even if it is still there.

 I feel helpless while watching my sister’s illness. At least Jupiter can release her pain a little bit. She’s so brave. I never heard a single complain from her, but I can feel her pain just as much as she does.

  But today is a day of joy.

  Adam and I are getting married. Mary is helping me prepare for the wedding and I’m not nervous at all, Spirits feel little need of such events. It’s important for the people however to show everyone that they belong together. The ceremony will be short and followed by a huge feast. Poor Adam is nervous for both of us. I’d do anything to make him happy. He’s a better man than I deserve.

“Are you sure?” Mary asks me worriedly with the scissors placed right under my shoulders.

  I smile warmly back to my sister. She doesn’t want to cut off my long hair, but I want to see it gone. I want to remove the last trace of John. I have treated it with special herbs since I got home and the blackness is slowly fading. The blonde can be seen in my roots and I long to get my real colour back.

“Cut it,” I tell her firmly and watch fascinated as my long locks are falling to the floor. “That wasn’t so hard, was it?” I ask when she’s done.

  My head feels a lot lighter and I laugh a little as I shake it so the locks are tumbling back and forwards. How cheeky to have short hair!

“It looks better than I thought,” Mary adds relieved over the result. She picks up the bowl from the table and frown at the mud in it. “So I just massage this mass into the hair?”