Chapter One

Lighting the embers...

You shouldn’t pick up strangers on the road. Ever seen the film ‘The Hitcher’, the one with Rutger Hauer? Hitch-hiker, a real psychopath, deals out death like a gambler does cards. Dismissive. Advice given freely – don’t risk picking up strangers. It’s not worth it.

This is what could happen when free advice is ignored...

1

The plan hadn’t been full worked out in his head and so, almost from the very start, it all began to go wrong. He’d met the girl in a bar, parking up his Suzuki Samurai and strolling in, deciding to buy a beer and some tapas before moving on. Ten minutes later, she came in and he couldn’t take his eyes off her. She dripped sex. She wore a tight-fitting blue top that accentuated the curve of her breasts, and the thin white skirt, split almost to the top of the thigh to reveal burnished limbs, left nothing to the imagination. He felt sure she wasn’t wearing panties. Eventually she noticed his gaze, and liked what she saw. He knew that by the way she smiled, turned her head away and then looked again. When he returned it, she ran her tongue along her bottom lip. That made him feel good.

She was with some friends and they laughed a lot. He liked that in a girl, hating how some of them were so serious, giving you the hard stare, trying to make you feel like you were not fit to walk the planet. But this was one different. Her name was Sarah. That’s what one of her friends called her, when she moved over to the bar to order a round of drinks. He didn’t wait before he sidled over to her.

“Sarah?”

Her eyes flashed. “How did you...?”

She caught his look and she smiled again.

They made love up in the hills surrounding the little village. It was a cool night and the mosquitoes didn’t bite that much. She was gloriously slim, her bronzed body sliding through his fingers like cream. He thought that perhaps he could spend more time with her, get to know her properly. When they lay on the ground, spent, her breasts rising and falling with each breath, he studied her lines and realized that here was a girl who could give him everything he had ever wanted.

If only they had time.

They walked around for a while, and he held her too him, kissing her. Looking into his eyes, she moaned, “God, I’m so glad we met!” He liked that, liked the way she yielded to him.

“Why aren’t you married?” she asked.

“Who said I’m not?”

She traced her fingers across his, settling around the knuckle. “I thought that most men wore rings nowadays.”

“Do they? I wouldn’t know – not being married.”