What Makes The World Go Round

I stood above the pool of blood, my breathing harsh in my ears. Watching the girl beneath me writhe in agony as her life slowly seeped out of her and onto the serpentine tile beneath.

"No, please. Please. I'll do anything. Just help me." Her voice was weak and laden with pain, each word frought with her dying breaths.

I smiled, like I was going to help her. This was what I trained for. This was what my life had led up to. Killing someone for the first time. Someone who deserved it. I kneeled down, and placed my gloved hand on her pale, bloodless cheek.

Leaning close, I brushed my lips against her ear, as I gave her her death sentence. "No."

I leaned in closer, hooking my arms around her bloody chest, pulling her to me. "This is your punishment. For killing harmless people. Just for your pleasure."

She smirked, and moved her arms weakly. Whispering in my ear, she cooed, "Isn't that what you do? Kill people for fun?"

I stood up, and let her worthless body fall to the ground. "No. I do this for my job." I slammed my stiletto heel into her throat, and claimed her last breath.

This was what I did. I killed people, for the government. But only if they deserved it.

My name is Sarah, and I'm employed by the government to kill.