5: In Which She Comes (Out) on Top

**************************************

@Jenice_Fenty made this particular fan art/book cover =) Thanks again, love! ==>

**********************************

He was a man.

No matter how arrogant or timid, dangerous or docile they were, men thought about sex more than they thought about more pressing issues – like veiled threats about taking someone’s child away.

Carlo certainly wasn’t any different.

“Slow down,” I breathed, after having the wind knocked out of me when he pushed me up against one ceramic wall. “Weren’t you just shot an hour ago?”

Carlo cast a dismissive look at his bandaged arm. “I’ll live.” His eyes roamed over me. “But you should know that I’m not lenient with my attempted murderers and there have been many.”

I couldn’t be sure if he was teasing or not. “Are you threatening me? Because I’ll –”

“You’ll what?” He leaned in and blew his hot breath against the sensitive skin of my neck. “Tell your brothers?” His tongue flickered out and traced one of the cords of my neck. “The cops?” I felt his teeth, gentle yet painful because of the sweet sensation they caused. “Your little girlfriends?” He bit down. I let out a helpless whimper.

“You can’t just waltz into my house whenever you feel like it,” I said softly, shuddering when his hand slid up my T-shirt and forgetting the rest of what was going to be a passionate tirade.

“I think, cara,” he murmured into my neck, “that you’ll find that I can do whatever the hell I please.” He reared back, tugging my top off with one hand.

I wasn’t wearing any underwear. After my shower before bed, I’d just thrown on a shirt because of the slight rise in temperature. Now it just looked like an invitation, something I was banking on.

“There is something I have to ask – something I should have asked the moment we had sex the first time,” Carlo was saying, his eyes decidedly settling on my breasts. “Are you taking any contraceptives?”

“Of course I am,” I snapped indignantly, the trance broken. “What sort of idiot do you take me for? Do you honestly think I’d –”

He covered my mouth with his hand, wincing slightly from the pain he most likely experienced to lift his bandaged arm. His free hand cupped my breast, the pad of his thumb over my nipple, and both my breasts suddenly felt like the heaviest of boulders.

“I don’t think you’re an idiot,” he whispered, “because I am. Christo, Danielle! I have never been so careless when it came to protection. Never.”