Chapter 2

Chapter 2

     The weather grew steadily colder as I trudged north, and not for the first time I marveled at Skyrim’s sudden weather changes.  In the north, it was almost always snowing and cold, with vicious blizzards that would spring up suddenly without warning.  In the south, the trees were nearly always green and the sun was nearly always out.  Snow only lay on the peaks of tall mountains in the south, while it covered the northern hills year round, making the footing treacherous. 

     Windhelm was finally in sight.  A drab grey and white sight, but I was happy to see it nonetheless.  At least I didn’t have to actually enter the city, since I planned on going to the harbor.  I crossed the river by jumping from piece of ice to piece of ice, then over the low barrier that kept stupid fools from just walking off into the freezing water.  Some of the guards eyed my antics doubtfully, but they couldn’t really say anything.  There’s no law that says you have to enter the harbor through the city.

     I stood and surveyed the vessels that were in port.  Most looked too small to cross an ocean, but there was one that caught my eye.  I headed for the pier, trying not to bump into the Argonians who worked on the docks.  I stepped onto the ship and picked the person who stood out most to ask, “Is this the Northern Maiden?”

     “Aye, this is the Northern Maiden.  But if you’re looking for passage to Soltheim, too bad.  I’m not going back there anymore,” he replied brusquely, turning away at the same time.

     I narrowed my eyes.  “Are you the Captain?”

     “Sure.  Yeah.  That’s me.  Who sent you?” he asked suspiciously, turning back around.

     “Well, not six hours ago, I was attacked by two masked men who had a note that said they had come from Solstheim on the Northern Maiden.”  I idly looked around at the ship, noticing out of the corner of my eye that Gjalund’s face had gone white.

     “Now hold on!” he interjected hastily.  “That wasn’t my fault… I didn’t know they were going to attack anybody.  I don’t even know how I got here!”  He was starting to look slightly panicked.

     “You don’t remember how you got here.  Do elaborate.” 

     “It’s hard to explain… I remember those people with the masks coming on board, then… Next thing I remember, I was here and they were gone.  That’s not right, losing whole days like that.  There’s been something strange going on there for a while, but after this… I’m done.  I’m not going back to Solstheim,” he finished adamantly.  Gjalund turned away resolutely and headed forward into the bows. 

     Oh yes, you are.  I followed.

     “Are you deaf?” he bellowed angrily.  “I already told you, I’m not going back to Solstheim!”

     I could probably bribe him pretty easily if I gave a good enough offer.  Or maybe if I was good enough, I could even just persuade him to take me.  But I was quite annoyed by this time, partly at the captain’s spinelessness and partly at the masked men’s leader. 

     I stomped uncomfortably close to Gjalund and hissed, “People are trying to kill me.  I’m not taking no for an answer.”  I allowed a hint of a Flames spell to come to my hand and looked significantly around the wooden, quite flammable ship.

     I really had no intention of burning his ship, and if he called my bluff I wasn’t sure what I would do.  But Gjalund, after looking stupidly at me for a second, looked down at my hand and realized what I was threatening to do.  He turned white as a frost troll and said hastily, “Hold on, now.  I’m just a simple sailor.  I never wanted to get mixed up in ay of this!”