Chapter 6 - A New Company

Sourna, the town Tristane had known his whole life, the town that used to be so grand in his eyes was now no more than the size of an ant on the horizon. As the company rode forth northbound, it was only getting more minuscule. A pang of regret rushed through his body for agreeing to obey the Lochagos without even a little complaint. There was nothing he could do though, his hands were tied in the matter.

The company consisted of ten men total. The Lochagos led on horseback at the head of the column with his hospiltes in close proximity behind, traveling likewise. The lithe warhorses pranced down the dirt road as easily as an eagle could fly, tossing their heads and communicating through short whinnies and snorts. Tristane wished he knew what they were saying.

Tristane and his companions rode unevenly compared to how the hospiltes were organized and fell in with rhythm. They were like a well oiled machine, fluidity controlling their actions, and the young men were merely the parts rust chipped away at.

It led Tristane to realize just how professional these soldiers were. Years and years of training in a mora had hardened them into a responsible, intimidating force of nature that could react simultaneously on a whim. And they expected Tristane and his town friends to develop traits such as these.

The notion was implausible to a farm boy like him, never having been organized in anything at all, except evenly planting crops.

Sitka pulled his grey up close to Tristane's palamino. The two horses neighed what he thought was a greeting and the grey's ears went back, asserting the palamino as the dominant of the two.

Tristane noticed the horses' names were trimmed short, leaving an inch sticking up like a mohawk. The tail was cropped short likewise. He supposed charging into battle would be challenging with long locks whipping one's face.

"Strange, leaving Sourna for the first time to pursue something we are no good at," Sitka said, looking over to him.

Sitka was the mayor's son, and one of the more admired boys in town. His eccentric white hair was an oddity, but everyone loved him with his easygoing and lighthearted attitude, not to mention Sitka's belief that he was a jokester. And Sitka was also Tristane's best friend. He trusted the young man with his life, to guard his back and to stick by his side.

"Sitka, I don't think I'm cut out for this kind of work," Tristane admitted. "I'm not a fighter, I get revolted by even the smallest idea of it. All I know is farming. With Gale off, Uncle Harold won't have anyone to help out this winter should he need it. But I suppose it's one less mouth to feed."

Sitka nodded. "That's true. Always think on the bright side, Tristane, it gets you through some dark times." He gave a smile. "Your uncle will manage. He's had many winters to endure before you were even born, but worrying about it won't help. The only way to help now is to just take the path the stars are laying out for you right now, even if it's to be recruited to a mora. So, I heard that Josephine kissed you, wanna tell me about that little detail?" He wiggled his eyebrows and Tristane laughed.

In the conclusion of saying his heartfelt goodbyes to his aunt and uncle, a memory he never wished to relive, Josephine had managed to snatch him away before his departure. Alone, she had told Tristane how much she would ache for his return, and he had put on his intrepid expression to try and impress her. Ere he left her, she touched her lips to his and passion controlled that moment in time. It was the best thing he ever experienced.

He smiled at the thought of his family and reached up, touching the amulet that hung around his neck. It was a silver circle with a yellow topaz the shape of a star. He had no idea his uncle owned such a priceless piece of jewelry, and hadn't wanted to take it, but his uncle had insisted. It reminded him of the insignia of the Circle.