twenty. a table reserved for two

[Dedicated to Sadiyah, who's one of the awesomest friends I've made here on Wattpad. She's totally chill, and she's been to London, which makes me totally and completely jealous. Keep rocking on, Sads!]

"So exactly how different is the movie from the musical?" wondered Dom as he watched me scramble in front of my DVD player. "If the situation is something like My Fair Lady, the movie isn't that much different from the original at all."

I really wanted to cut him off to save my ears from receiving any more of his blasphemy, but I felt like acting slightly polite today since I was asking Dom to do something that he'd never do without considerable prodding.

Dom continued, as I finally plucked the DVD case from a rather unstable tower of DVDs with a little whoop, "And then, there would be no point for me to watch the movie since I can basically say that I've seen it all." He paused for a second, presumably to think. During that little bit of silence, a couple other movies fell off the stack, and I bit my lip to keep myself from cursing. Dom kept going on like nothing had happened. "Well, actually-"

"Just please," I said loudly to him without turning around, holding up a hand to him, "I need to concentrate, and I literally can't do anything when you're blasting my favorite movie in front of me."

There was a split second of silence, which I had started to enjoy as I popped open the DVD case and took out the disk, before Dom began blabbing all over again. Good God-I knew it was too good to be true.

"Actually," he called over to me, "I don't think I've seen it all because I fell asleep after a bit at the theatre."

I dropped the disk on the ground (even though I was totally prepared to put it in the DVD player already) and whipped my head around, my mouth dropping open. I must have tried to talk, but my mouth couldn't seem to make any noises. My eyes popped open wider.

How was I supposed to react to that?

"Wait, wait, wait," I was able to stutter out after a couple seconds. I leaned forward on my knees and stared straight into Dom's dark eyes. "You did what?"

Dom glanced to the side and bit his lip like he was a little kid who was caught stealing a cookie from the jar. Well, he sure did take his time formulating an answer. After a couple seconds, he finally admitted, still avoiding my eyes, "I fell asleep for a couple scenes...?"

Damn him for making me feel guilty by turning his shocking confession into a question. Damn him for being both a Guys and Dolls unbeliever and Dom Amaro. Damn him for being such a stubborn, uninformed ass who couldn't recognize good art if it were dancing in front of him with a toupee and a man thong. Damn him for being so fucking brash by actually admitting that to me-he totally knew what was going to happen to him if he let me, out of all people, know.

What was this?

After a little while of blinking furiously and gaping at my crush, I finally gathered the nerves to pick up the fallen DVD and stuff it in the DVD player. My mind was completely numb, like my dentist had really fucked up his needle placement and somehow injected my brain with anesthetic. It was almost like everything I was doing was autonomous, like my breathing.

Dom fucking fell asleep during one of the best musicals ever written in the world.

I was, in fact, so flustered that, for a moment, I completely forgot how to use a remote, and so, I had to resort to turning to Dom, who was still avoiding me.

"Whatever," I said once we both figured out that we would get nowhere if we just faced each other like this. "Just...try to redeem yourself somehow." In an undertone, I muttered, "If someone can even be redeemed for falling asleep during Guys and Dolls..."