12

"You weren't supposed to shoot her, you idiot!" A woman's voice says.

I hear someone groan beside me.

I peek and see James lying beside me.

I look at my surroundings and see that we're in some sort of forest. Guess they got us out of the city and avoided the cops. I wish they hadn't though. I really need to go to the hospital.

The woman slaps the guy again and he stumbles.

Another man approaches and both adults stand still.

"What have you done?!" The man roars.

The woman points to the man on the ground.

Tyron smacks him. "Why did you shoot her? I told you to bring her back alive. Not hurt, or dead."

The other guy starts shaking.

"I-I'm sorry. I-It w-was supposed to scare everyone. Not hurt anyone." He whines.

Tyron and the woman roll their eyes and start discussing what to do next.

"So what are you going to do now? Hold her as hostage?" The woman asks.

Tyron nods and the woman sighs.

"Well then, I'd better tend to the girl. Don't want her dying out on us. Especially since you've gotten fond of her."

Tyron chuckles and the woman approaches me.

I watch her and she smiles once she reaches me. A soft, genuine smile. I like her.

"Hello, Joy." She says.

I just stare at her.

"I'm Tasha." She says as she changes my bandage and puts a new one.

"I'm sorry for the condition you're in. My brother is- how do I put it? Crazy." She sighs again.

"I don't want any of this to happen. But I only just found out my brother is alive recently and he's so bent on this. I don't know what to do." She whispers.

I raise an eyebrow. What is happening?

James stirs and Tasha tends to him too.

Soon we're both wrapped in blankets in front of a fire.

"Tyron has gone to get some food and Xavier left." Tasha says.

"Why are we out here? Why not in another building or city?" James asks.

"Our house is near here. Not in the city. I- uh, don't want my brother to be tempted..." She says quietly.

"Oh." Is all James replies.

Soon Tyron comes back with dinner and the four of us eat in silence. Tyron steals glances at me and James glares at him.

Tasha, seeing all this, leans towards me. "The guys are fighting over you in their own little way." She whispers.

I shake her head. "Why?"

"You're beautiful and there's a kindness to you that's attractive." She adds.

"Hmm. I don't know." I say.

She laughs. "Well, don't worry about that now."

As darkness closes in, the four gather around and fall asleep.

The next morning, Tasha shakes me.

"We've got to get you out of here. Give me two more days." She whispers.

I look at her shocked.

She puts a finger to her lips and winks.

A cellphone rings and we look over to see James answer it.

"Hey." He says sweetly.

I raise an eyebrow and Tasha and I share a look.

"Yeah- um. Kinda not in the city right now. Maybe next time?" He says in a voice I know all too well.

He looks at me and I look away.

He ends the call.

I stand and walk away. Tasha comes after me.

"Joy, ask for his explanation." She says putting a hand on my shoulder.

"I know his voice all to well. I know how he is when he's with guys, girls, family, me. His voice. He used that voice for me. And now- guess I'm not the only girl he'd wait for."

Tasha looks back at James. James has his face in his hands, but his phone rings again.

"Don't answer it." Tasha calls out.

James doesn't listen and answers the call.

"Hey." He says. "No. Can't. I already told you, I'm not in the city right now. No, Shak, no. I'll see ya when I get back. Promise."

I gasp. Shak? As in Shakira? He- he likes her?

"Why?" I ask quietly.

Tasha puts an arm around me.

"Tell me, did you suspect?" She asks.

I close my eyes and think.

"There were times when I'd question it but I never thought much about it. I mean, first boyfriend, so why would I doubt him? Guess that was my mistake." I say.

"Tell me why you doubted him sometimes and why you were hesitant to say yes at first." She urges.

"Sometimes I'd catch him looking at the cheerleaders. But I didn't let jealousy get the best of me because isn't that what causes problems? So I let that pass. Then sometimes when we're all hanging out, like our group of friends, he'd text someone and have that smirk and cute smile of his. I thought he'd only do that for me, but I let it pass too. Then one time, I saw him talking to Shakira. I let it pass too. And Shakira kept sending me notes about stealing her guy, before we were together. And now, I know why. I think they were together, or are together, and I got in the way. But I don't know why he'd use me."

Tasha hugs me and squeezes me.
"Don't worry. We'll fix that once we're out of here."

"Wait. Why do you wanna help me?" I ask.

"I don't agree with Tyron's terms at all. So just continue doing whatever you want for two days, then we'll leave. We're gonna get you out of here." She whispers.