CHAPTER 11

Jess

I couldn’t believe it. The boy I always dreamt of talking to , being with – he was here. With me. Wow. My heart was fluttering. Nonstop, by the way. And I was so happy I could’ve imploded from the sheer happiness inside of me. He liked me back. Second grade, I know, but when the guy of your dreams might finally be yours – it’s an awesome feeling. And, I was sharing my art, the stars, even my precious Cinnamon Toast Crunch – everything I’d shared with grandpa and saved for my special person.

Dre explained every detail: how he’d heard my song on the radio, how Kenzi had thrown a fit. I was sort of shocked. But pleased. At the same time. He’d even put his arm around me. I felt a small urge to move away; I moved closer. He was warm, perfect for the chilly wind.

Dre glanced back and reached for something - my iPod. He placed a bud in my ear and one in his, and we listened for a little while to “Fallin’ for You” - I'd left it looping.

Suddenly, he jumped up and extended his hand. I reached for it, and he helped me up. Dre started the song over, placed the buds back in our ears and then put his hand on my waist. This wasn’t a dancing song, but apparently we were going to dance. Obvously, he was an impromptu kind of guy. It was kind of cheesy, but it was so perfect… it was the best feeling. I leaned in a little and breathed his scent – cologne, car leather, and hay. Then I closed my eyes and listened.

“… I’m fallin’ for you

As I’m standing here

And you hold my hand

Pull me towards you

And we start to dance

All around us

I see nobody

Here in silence

It’s just you and me

I’m trying

Not to tell you

But I want to

I’m scared of what you’ll say

So I’m hiding what I’m feeling

But I’m tired of

Holding this inside my head

I’ve been spending all my time

Just thinking about ya

I don’t know what to do

I think I’m fallin’ for you

I’ve been waiting all my life

And now I found ya

I don’t know what to do”

I think I’m fallin’ for you

I’m fallin’ for you

Oh I just can’t take it

My heart is racing

The emotions keep spinning out

I’ve been spending all my time

Just thinking about ya

I don’t know what to do

I think I’m fallin’ for you

I’ve been waiting all my life

And now I found ya

I don’t know what to do

I think I’m fallin’ for you

I’m fallin’ for you

I think I’m fallin’ for you

I can’t stop thinking about it

I want you all around me

And now I just can’t hide it

I think I’m fallin’ for you…”

I thought for a while. We were moving a little fast for a first date. Mama would kill me. Oh well. The words of the song kept running through my head. Over and over. And I realized that I didn’t need this song anymore. I was no longer a gimpy turtle. I didn’t need to be shy. I was free. I laid my head on Dre’s shoulder, and smiled. It was strange, for sure – we were dancing, he in a tux, and me in my jeans and a t-shirt. In a barn loft, of all places. It was amazing. And somehow, I knew it was going to work out. For real.