Riddles

I'd like to tell you a story of a love that spans lifetimes. Of course it is a long story, but I have plenty of time to tell it.

There is a common idea of the Afterlife. I wish I could tell you it's real, but honestly I don't know. All I know is the preparation before life instead of celebration after life. You could call this Beforelife if you like, though it doesn't have a name. This is where souls come together and form their own families while they wait to be born. It is a mostly bland existence, the food is tasteless and the colors are dull, it is a world that has no life. I suppose that makes sense in a way, we have no life, so why would our temporary home have one?

As terrible as it is to live in such a lonely place, we get by. We make friends, build our own families. Sometimes they carry over into our lives, and sometimes they don't. It doesn't matter either way, we lose our memories when we are born. In essence, this Beforelife is pointless. None of us know why we are here first. It is a mystery that I don't believe will ever be solved. But strangely, I don't care about its reason or its blandness. I care about a man I found here.

His name is Logan. At least it is now. I'm sure it will change when he is born again. He has dark brown hair and eyes so dark I can barely see the pupil. They're beautiful. He has a strong jaw and his arms are the only place I've really ever found solace. He is home. And he has seven hundred years before he is sent to Earth to live his life.

I only have three days.

Three days until I find myself in England in the year 1328. And I'll forget everything about this place. I've seen what life is like right now, there are screens that show us the world, major events and personal lives, and it isn't a life I want. Not only for the disease and overall shittiness, but because Logan will still be here. And he'll watch me forget him and he'll watch me die young from some stupid reason like not washing my hands. He may even watch me fall in love.

And I will never remember him.

And the thought of that alone makes it unbearable.

We were alone, spending our last days in together in each other's arms. Our friends and families hadn't brought it up; they knew what was happening, why we needed to be together for the next few days.

On our last night together I was holding his hand tighter than I ever had and was trying desperately hard not to break down into tears.

"We could meet in the afterlife." Logan said hopefully.

"I don't want to take a chance on something that I'm not even sure exists. And what if I still don't remember you? Or what if you find someone else you'd rather be with? What if you forget me?" I wasn't ready for this. I needed Logan.

"You'll probably find someone too."

I frowned and buried my head in his chest. "Never."

"A handsome man like you is bound to find someone."

"If I live that long in this stupid time." I mumbled darkly.

"We don't have any other option, my love. We have to live with this. We had this time together, and I wish it wasn't so, but it's all we have." I knew how bad he was hurting, I knew that on the inside he was just as heartbroken as I was, but he was trying to be strong for the both of us. He was always like that, always trying to be the sane one. I on the other hand was always on the verge of a breakdown.