Chapter 7

Elvis POV

Letting out a sigh of frustration, I slam the phone back on its hook. Still no answer. For the past two days I've been trying to get ahold of her to apologize, but every time I call there's nothing. I either get told that Anna's not home or that she doesn't want to talk, but recently they've just stopped answering all together.

I feel bad about what happened, about losing my temper like that. Obviously it wasn't her fault, Anna couldn't have possibly known about the reporters. But sometimes those press people just make me mad, especially when they come and wait outside the gate. Always trying to snap a picture. And poor Anna, getting caught up in all of it. I always kind of figured she was shy, and when I saw her trying to hide from the cameras, that made it even worse. She didn't want her picture taken, but now her face is out there for everyone to see and there's nothing that can be done. That got me even angrier, making me lash out.

Sinking down into the couch, I shake my head and run my hands through my hair. Yesterday's newspaper still sits on the coffee table. Plastered on the front page is one of the pictures from the other day, both Anna's and my faces crystal clear. Hopefully she hasn't seen this yet.

Anna's POV

Margaret makes me jump a little when she flings the door open and marches over to her bed, plopping down heavily with a grunt.

"Was it him again?" I ask, looking up from the book in my hands.

She shakes her head. "I didn't even answer," she sighs, propping herself up on her elbow to look at me. "You know you'll have to talk to him again eventually, right?"

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, yeah, whatever." She's been saying that ever since I started ignoring him. But frankly, I don't know when I'm going to do that. I'm still pretty upset from the other day, and seeing our picture in the paper hasn't made things any better.

The two of us stay silent for a moment, not really sure what to say."Do you want to go into town with me?" Margaret asks suddenly, obviously making an attempt at changing the subject. "I was just about to go and meet up with a couple of girlfriends."

Shutting my book, I sit up and look at her. "Sure, sounds like fun." I try to say it with enthusiasm. Honestly, I'm just looking for an excuse to get out of this house. Sitting around and pouting is bad enough, but having the phone ring every couple of hours and knowing its Elvis on the other end is worse.

Quickly changing into a thin lace-trimmed lilac dress, I pull my hair up into a high ponytail before hurrying to catch up to Margaret. She waits for me in the kitchen, purse in hand. "Ready?" She asks with a smile.

The whole walk into town I am thankful for my short sleeves. This middle-of-summer Memphis heat is something I'm still getting used to. By the time we make it downtown I'm already breaking a sweat.

The streets are pretty crowded for a Tuesday afternoon. Many people stroll along the sidewalks, occasionally stopping to peer into the glass windows of various stores. Letting Margaret lead the way, she ends up taking us to the movie theater. She tells me that were a little early, so we end up waiting for awhile outside. And I can't help but notice more than a few people sneaking glances my way. At first I'm confused but then I remember the newspaper. The picture.