Chapter 6: The Chase

Castle wakes to a hand shaking him, head heavy from too little sleep. He rubs his eyes and looks at the door as it closes behind his silent companion. It takes him a minute to gather his wits, another minute to gather the willpower to get out of bed and head for the bathroom.

A five minute shower has him feeling half human again and he finds himself staring at his reflection, razor in hand, slightly bloodshot eyes giving him a hard glare. He takes a deep breath, nods at himself in some silent confirmation of an idea which has not yet formed. He gives himself a slight smile ... losing it Castle? ... he can almost hear her voice in his ear ... almost turns his head to look for her.

When he emerges from his bedroom he is smartly dressed, clean shaven, eyes almost confident. He can smell the coffee, takes the proffered cup, nods a silent thank you. He lets the caffeine do its job, feels his nerve ends begin to respond, his synapses churning into action. The silence is comfortable, unstrained ... broken by a quiet knocking on the door.

He puts his hand on the door handle, checks through the peephole, turns round and finds himself alone, opens the door and allows Esposito to brush past him into the loft. Javi looks around, places the blanket wrapped item he is carrying on the kitchen counter and suggests he could also do with a coffee.

Castle is about to walk past him to the coffee machine when he sees the Detective go still, very still. He stops, looks over his shoulder and sees his overnight companion approach from the direction of the study. He watches intrigued as both these men warily observe each other; professionals who recognise the latent danger in the other.

Javi makes the first move, nodding in recognition and proffers his hand, feels it taken in a firm handshake, "Nice to meet you sir, haven't been told much about it, but we were all glad to have her home"

"I could say the same Detective, my son doesn't say much about you guys, but I know he trusts you and my own sources agree. Thanks for having his back"

Castle watches, amused, as the two of them lean comfortably against the counter, both studiously ignoring the elongated bundle lying on the counter before them. He gets Javi his coffee, receives a nod of thanks when he passes him the mug. Watches as his father quietly sips his own coffee.

Almost in unison, both men place their empty coffee mugs on the counter and turn inquiring looks in Castle's direction. He leads them into the study, takes his chair by the desk and waits for the others to choose and settle in their own.

They sit there for almost two hours whilst he outlines his plan, explains his thought process, profiles Tyson and uses his 'murder board' to map out the plan of action. His two companions listen, proffer advice, argue their doubts and modify the plans ... until his phone goes.

He puts it on speaker "Agent Shaw, any news?"

"Just wanted to let you know that we believe we have found where Tyson was holding Detective Beckett, Mr Castle ..." they can hear the weariness in the voice despite the slightly tinny sound emanating from the phone's speaker. "... we're down at the scrap yard by the Liberty Harbour Marina if you want to come down?"

"I take it there is no sign of either of them Agent Shaw?"

"Nothing but minor traces .... blankets, a couple of empty water bottles, some duct tape ..."

"What about ... signs ... of violence?" his voice interrupts, a fist round his heart as he says the words.

"Nothing, Mr Castle .... although we have divers checking the area ..." they can hear the reluctance in her voice to take it any further.