Chapter 7

I don't know why, but I really like this chapter. Especially the end. It kind of just sets up the rest of the chapter and as I was writing it I came up with all  these ideas for the story so it was a good chapter to write...

Thanks for being so patient and thankfully my school ends at the beginning of June so only a few more weeks of these delayed chapters. 

Big thanks to everyone who reads, comments, fans, and votes. Your support is very much appreciated :)

(Sorry for any spelling/grammar errors)

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Chapter 7

Claire

                “So how did it go?” Paige asked as soon as she answered the phone.

                Monday morning came upon me faster than usual but then again that could be because I spent most of my weekend thinking about my Friday night. Or more specifically, Peter. I wouldn’t go so far as to say he was misunderstood, he was burdened with a sorrowful sadness but beyond that there was something more. At first glance, all I saw was a mad drowning himself in alcohol to drive the pain away but throughout the night he gave me glimpses into what was under that sadness. It was intriguing and unsettling.

                “Hello there to you too.” I muttered dryly, starting my computer up. Natalie had already come through to bring my morning coffee as well as read me my schedule for the day.

                “I thought the hello was implied.” Paige teased. In the background I could distinctly hear Ellie singing along to a popular child’s show. “Now how did it go? Did he seem sad? Is he better now?”

                I didn’t need to ask who the “he” was. Peter.

                “His mate was murdered right in front of him. Wouldn’t you be sad even after years have gone by?” I snapped without thinking.

                “I’m sorry, you’re right. That was a stupid question. What I mean is does he seem any better? All Rosie tells me is that he drinks and sleeps. That’s what his life consists of Claire, eating and sleeping.”

                “I kind of figured that out when I walked into his apartment.” I wrinkled my nose as I recalled Peter’s apartment.

                “I’m guessing he wasn’t all too pleased to see you then?” Paige assumed. I chuckled and nodded to myself.

                “I wasn’t expecting a warm welcome or anything but he pretty much slammed the door in my face.” I explained.

                “Wow.” Paige uttered before I heard her muffled voice ask Ellie to turn the television down.

                “Yeah.” I murmured. “Shouldn’t my lovely niece be in school about now?” I asked, noting the time difference would make it about noon Paige’s time.

                “Your lovely niece spent last night puking up her breakfast, lunch, and dinner. She seems to be feeling better now but I kept her home just to be sure.”

                “Then I really hope James was there last night to help you because that sounds messy and quite frankly, disgusting.” I sympathized.