Vigilante ~ Phase 1

Fast forward to when I was twelve. That was five long years ago. I didn’t live in the worst part of the city but it wasn’t exactly safe. One night I was alone with my sister and I heard a ruckus outside. Peeping out my window I saw three drunken Voltar boys. They looked to be around 20 years old. I flinched when I saw they each played with a shock gun.

I know the term shock gun probably sounds pretty mediocre to you. Boy, are you wrong. The Voltar’s made these out of our old guns that used normal bullets. They look just like old guns but are silver and use electricity in their bullets. The bullets are pointed so not only does the gun rip through your skin and stay there, they send an electric shock throughout the body that usually made you pass out. Isn’t it a coincidence that these new guns didn’t affect Voltar’s as much as humans?

The devilish young Voltar’s ran out of cretins for booze. They thought it would be easier to just enter a little human’s house to get more. That’s right. The bastards even changed the different currencies of our world and made it theirs.

I remember my sister and I screaming when they broke through the kitchen window and came inside. Falling to the ground, they laughed and hiccupped. I pulled out a bat I found in my brothers room. As they came up the stairs, they laughed as they saw me, shaking as I held the bat. Their slurred voices tried to assure me they only wanted cretins.

My sister came out of our room and told them we didn’t have any. She was fourteen at the time. Suddenly their eyebrows furrowed. Their moods grew into anger.

The biggest Voltar pulled out his shock gun and shot my sister. I screamed and started crying.

“That will teach you humans to mess with us,” he said and they laughed. They left me there, convulsing.

A fourteen year olds body couldn’t handle a hit from a shock gun. Not knowing what to do, I ran.

I reached a gas station a few miles outside of the city. Not caring what happened to me, I sat between the brick wall and a few boxes and cried. I stayed there for a day, ignoring my bodies cries for food and companionship.

I honestly thought I would die that day and would have been ok with that at the time. But Fate is a funny thing and decided to give me life.

“Get up,” commanded a voice. I yelped. A man had approached me. He looked to be around thirty five years old. He was African American but had a light brown skin. His face was stern and looked to be constantly contemplating. I whimpered. He extended his hand to me.

My heart pounded in fear but I took it. I didn’t know it, but Fate was playing with me once again.

He helped me up with ease, like he was picking up a feather.

“What happened?” he questioned me. If I wasn’t scared of him and scarred, I would have stubbornly refused to answer like the child I was. I told him the story and did my best to keep my voice steady and my head up.

He sighed heavily when I was done and looked up at the sky. Closing his eyes he seemed to contemplate. I watched him in awe, biting my tongue not to ask questions. He was muscular and dressed in leather and black. His clothes had multiple pockets that looked to be full of stuff. I didn’t really want to know what he carried.

“Do you want to go back?” he asked. His eyes seemed heavy, as if he hadn’t slept in days. I shook my head dumbly. My parents were separated and not the nicest of people. I know they would have violently blamed me for Violet’s death.

“Then let’s go,” he ordered. Turning on his heels, he walked away from the station. I scurried to follow him, afraid of not obeying him.