Pt III: Sand to Dirt

She runs to the hiding place she had used when they first arrived in District 13 and her mind still wasn't right, but of course it's not much of a secret spot now.

Haymitch comes to find her about half an hour after she's disappeared, not seeming to mind in the least that her face is an absolute mess from all her crying as he sits down across from her.

"So this is it, huh?" He asks, sighing as he looks around, unimpressed with her hiding place. "You're just gonna hide down here for the rest of your days, wait 'til it's all over?"

She looks at him, her red, puffy eyes stinging as she blinks to try and refocus on his face, and reluctantly replies, "I can't be The Mockingjay. I can't do it..."

She hugs her knees to her chest and begins to hide her face in her arms, but stops when Haymitch reaches over and rests a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"It's not The Mockingjay we need," he says. "It's just Katniss."

She stares at him, touched and a little shocked that he would even try to make her feel better, and he pulls away as soon as he's registered the look of appreciation on her face, avoiding her gaze and staring out at the short walls and ceiling and pipes that surround them.

"You know," he sighs, acting nonchalant. "You're the only real friend I've got down here. You're smart, you're strong, you're understanding...I don't suppose they gave you any kind of...medication?"

She scoffs, shaking her head. "You're unbelievable."

Despite herself, she smiles. Even though he's clearly trying to cover up his kindness, she knows that deep down Haymitch has a good heart. It's almost funny, too, the way he comforts her and then blatantly denies any such attempts at getting her back on her feet. But she appreciates it nonetheless. They'd had their rocky moments, yes, but she had a feeling that she and Haymitch would always be on good terms in the end. And that was something she would cherish until her last breath.

Haymitch tilts his head from side to side, weighing her statement. "Agreed. But I meant what I said back there." He pauses, gauging her reaction before continuing. "Look; the real reason I came here...is to let you know that they're rescuing Peeta."

She lifts her head and straightens her back, alert. "What?"

"The dam that went down in District 5? It took out most of the Capitol's power. Knocked out their signal defense or something like that. Anyway, Beetee's inside their system now, and a window is open to us. I don't know for how long, but I'm guessing however long it takes the Capitol to get the power back on."

"And President Coin?" She asks, suspicious. "She agreed to this?"

"Hey, you said you wanted him rescued at the soonest opportunity-"

"Yeah, I- I do," she says quickly. "But I just don't see how-"

"Look," he says, holding out a hand to silence her. "Peeta is the Capitol's weapon. Just like you're ours. And I think we both know that it would do us aaaall a lot of good if we had him on our side of the fence as opposed to you two pointing fingers at each other with sissy broadcasts all the time."

She blinks and looks away, somewhat miffed at his rude and blunt trivialization of the propos she'd worked so hard on, but says nothing as she waits for him to continue.

"Bottom line is: Coin's getting him out of there. And I know you two don't always see eye to eye, but it wouldn't hurt to show a little gratitude towards the woman for it."

Katniss lets her Mentor's words sink in, and once they have she feels the sudden urge, the need to get out of there and help them, help bring back Peeta. A spark lights inside her soul, and after that moment nothing else matters.