Chapter 15

The carriage stops before the palace. The driver surprises me by hopping down and holding the door.

"Oh. Thank you." I step down without looking at him. "Um... find a place to park. Then meet me here again at-" I groan "-quarter to midnight." I tried to regain my excitement during the drive. But knowing you have less than two hours to get a marriage proposal from a prince you haven't met or be doomed forever to mediocrity can be something of a downer.

The driver climbs back to his seat and flicks the reins. I'm glad he doesn't speak - he's creepy enough.

Oh my.... I've never been this close to the palace before. It's impressive. Soaring walls of cream-colored stone. Lots of towers, some blunt and bulging, others slender and sky high. One of the central towers displays a massive clock with a dark face and shining gold hands. Twenty past ten. Oh dear....

I'm standing at the bottom of a huge, round staircase with steps that ripple down to me like rings in a pond. At the top, a massive set of double doors stands open, a cave of golden light. The swift, lifting notes of a waltz beckon to me from within.

I pinch my skirt and climb the stairs. No one stops me from walking right in. Two palace guards stand on either side of the doors but they just look at me. Or rather, at my dress. I suppress a smug smile. I knew black would be good.

A bright hallway stretches before me, leading to another pair of open doors. That must be the ballroom. My heart begins to float with the music I hear inside. I can't believe I'm here. I can't believe it.

My whole body quivers as I creep into the ballroom. Ohhh! This must be heaven. Because no man could create a place of such majestic wonder.

I'm at the top of another staircase, looking out over the ballroom. I never knew one room could be so enormous. Hundreds of couples bobbing and swirling, like leaves twirled by the wind. A white marble floor so glossy it reflects the people upside-down in a kind of milky mirror. A vaulted ceiling, impossibly high, and painted all over with clouds and angels and rays of celestial light. Dark windows tall as trees, and chandeliers that dangle teardrops of crystal, dripping rainbows around the room. I do like crystal.

Resting my hand on the golden railing, I descend the staircase gently, not wanting to crack or break my fragile shoes. My dress slips down each step behind me, black over white. I catch several people staring up at me and I wear the expression I planned in the carriage: serene and slightly cold. I want to look mysterious.

My foot has barely touched the floor when I find no less than four men surrounding me. Three young men and one older, all smiling. "Good evening, my lady," says a man in the middle. "Would you care to dance?"

"No, allow me, my lady, I can introduce you-"

"Hey, I saw her first!" a third man cries.

Ugh. The allurement enhancement. I should have been more specific, said it was for the prince only. This means a lot of men are going to give me trouble.

"Excuse me," I say firmly and skirt around them.

I've taken only a few more steps when something grabs my attention more than the grandeur sur-rounding me. A smell. Faint but distinct, the aroma of roasted chicken.

Oh my goodness. I'm starving!

When did I eat last? I remember grabbing a hunk of dry bread before I ran out to fetch my stepsisters' dancing shoes. In the past three days I've had almost as little food as sleep. But now that I remember food exists, I feel like I'll die if I don't get some right now.

But - I look for a clock and don't see one - I don't have time to eat. I have to find the prince.

Still, the smell leads me onward, around the dancers and along the wall, where clumps of hopeful mothers watch from the sidelines. I'll just have a little something. A quick bite. It'll give me a minute to make my plans and then I'll get to work.