In Which the Kids Are Almost Captured by a Hermaphrodite

After the near-death tumble off the Arch, Jacquelyn said, "I suggest that we stay on the ground from now on."

The others agreed and after leaving the Arch, they made their way back to the Metrolink and went to Union Station, where Grover set about finding a train that would take them west. Percy said, "We need to find a city that goes on for a mile."

"And we better solve the riddle quickly, because I see a monster that's about to attack us," said Ron.

"Oh, come on! Not this again!" Annabeth cried out. "Haven't we had enough of that?"

The kids turned around and they saw a huge monster leering at them over the crowd. "Who's got the POV gun?" Annabeth hissed, knowing that certain doom was at hand.

Jacquelyn fished the gun out her pocket and said, "We better be careful of how we handle the gun. It could misfire and hurt any of us. I don't want to end up getting hurt."

"What if the monster doesn't want to capture us?" said Ron.

"Well, there is that," said Percy.

The monster roared as he lunged towards the demigods and spellcaster. Tyson took the gun and shot the monster, shouting, "Bad monster! Bad monster! Leave us alone!"

"Are you here to kill us?" said Percy.

"He wants me to capture you guys," said the monster.

"Who?" Jacquelyn snapped. "Name the person who wants us captured or else I'll run my sword across your neck!" She pulled out her sword and aimed it at the monster.

"Oh dear, do you really want to harm him?" a soft melodious voice rang out. The kids turned around and gasped in horror as a Hermaphrodite walked into the room. He was unnaturally tale and pale, as if he was carved out of marble. He smiled as he stared at them.

At that, Ron knew what was up.

"Oh my God, it's the Hermaphrodite!" Ron cried out. "Take Jacquel and run!"

The kids all fled from the train station and took the next train to the airport. Grover said, "Guys, this is a bad idea. You know that the skies are Zeus's domain?"

"Well, YOU come up with an idea to escape from the Hermaphrodite!" Annabeth snapped at him.

"And you better make it quick, because he's coming to get us!" cried Percy.

"He doesn't want us, just Jacquel," said Ron.

"Why her?" said Annabeth. "She's just a spellcaster."

"I wonder why, seeing as she's more powerful than everyone else in the room," said Percy.

"And if that Hermaphrodite captures me, then it's bye-bye world," said Jacquelyn. "I can't live in a world that is destroyed."

"Yeah, and that too," said Ron.

"Oh, sweetheart," the Hermaphrodite called as he walked up to them. "Come with me and I'll let your friends go!"

"Never!" Jacquelyn snapped.

"Then you leave me no choice but to kidnap you," said the Hermaphrodite. "You're mine now, sweetheart!"

"My name's Jacquelyn!" Jacquelyn yelled as she shot an apple at him.

"You have just incurred my wrath, child!" the Hermaphrodite snapped in anger as the apple hit him in his face. "For that, I'm going to capture you!"

"Not if we escape first!" Ron snapped as the kids ran into the airport.

*-*-*-*-*

At the same time, Luke snarled in anger as he discovered that the chimera he had sent to capture the missing demigods was killed, courtesy of Jacquelyn and a rosary necklace. He knew that he would have to step up his tactics immediately or else Jacquelyn would destroy everything that he had worked for.

"I say that that's enough of us playing around," he said to a group of angry demigods who had boarded his yacht. "It's people like that spellcaster who keeps stopping us at every turn."

"But we all saw what happened when Annabeth Chase dueled against her," said a demigod.

"We know, Annabeth was defeated by said spellcaster," said Luke. "Besides, you all need to chill out; it's only halftime."

"So how do we defeat the brats and their leader?" said another demigod.

"By capturing the spellcaster, of course!" said Luke. "If she's not there to help them, then we can capture them all."

"Do you have any idea of how slippery she is?" said another demigod.

"That's why I'm sending our friend to intervene before the spellcaster and the demibrats do anything else," said Luke. "With her out of the way, we can finally capture that Ronald Puckerman."

"But what about Percy Jackson, Annabeth Chase, and Grover Underwood?" said the second demigod. "We all know that they're with Puckerman and the spellcaster. What should we do with them?"

"Not to worry, as I'm working on a great ending for them," said Luke. "When I get done with them, they won't be the only ones who will pay the ultimate price for defying me..."

The other demigods laughed as they plotted their cruel plans for Ron and his group...

*-*-*-*-*

When the kids were safely inside the place, Ron looked out the window of the boarding area and saw that a thunderstorm was brewing outside. "I think we must have pissed off the big guy," he whimpered.

"Who? Zeus?" said Percy. "Did we make him angry?"

"Not yet we haven't," said Annabeth.

"It's only a matter of time before that happens," said Jacquelyn.

"But how can we survive the flight?" said Ron. "Is there some magical charm that can keep us safe?"

"What magical charms can keep us safe?" said Grover. 

Just then, some old woman standing in the boarding area handed the kids some charms, saying, "Saint Christopher will keep you safe wherever your travels might take you."

"Saint Who???" Ron cried out, but the old woman was gone. Jacquelyn noticed him and said, "I think the old woman wants us to wear the charms tonight. We'll be needing them where we're going."

Ron nodded, then the kids put the charms around their necks and glanced at the storm that was brewing ahead...