Chapter 26

It was definitely not the most comfortable night Micara had spent. Maggie's small bed was not built for three people to share it. All three of the girls' muscles were stiff and kinked the next morning from their cramped sleeping positions. Still Cara would not have traded that night for a hundred of them slept alone.

Shannon knocked on the door in the morning and poked her head in. She tsked, scolding them lightheartedly before demanding they rise and ready themselves "like proper young ladies".

Micara watched the sisters help each other dress, aiding each other with buttons, shoes, and hair. They did for each other what Bernetta would have done for Micara at home. Micara dressed herself, quite accustomed to it after so long travelling, but she felt a slight twinge of longing as she did so. She had started on her hair when Maggie let out a sound of triumph and pulled a bright blue ribbon form a small box on her dressing table that she had been rummaging through. She went to Micara and draped the ribbon over her black curls.

"Katrina, look," she said, "Isn't it perfect?"

Katrina came and examined the the ribbon; it matched the colour of Micara's dress almost exactly.

"Hold still," Maggie commanded, threading her fingers into Micara's hair, twisting sections this way and that and weaving the ribbon throughout. "Hold here," she instructed Katrina. With her sister's hands in the place of her own, she dashed to the dressing table again, practically diving into the little box. She was back in a flash and began sticking pins into the places Katrina held. Katrina then twisted the stray hairs into perfect ringlets that tumbled down Cara's shoulders.

Maggie stepped back and admired their handiwork. "It is done, and it is beautiful."

She gave Cara and exuberant little hug and a beaming smile before skipping from the room.

Katrina linked arms with Cara and they left the room together, following Maggie who's petite perkiness Cara had yet to get used to. The whole family was at the table in the kitchen. Maggie was already chattering away to Calen, and at the other end of the table Shannon was doing the same to Teig. Called looked up as they entered. Katrina left her side and Cara was left alone in his gaze.

He looked at her, and as he looked, he smiled. Suddenly, she was glad for the ribbon in her hair, glad for the styled curls Maggie and Katrina had fixed, glad that he seemed to have noticed.

"Good morning," he greeted her as naturally as could be. She returned the greeting quietly, a hint of warmth entering her cheeks.

He got up from his chair and pulled out the one next to him, offering it to her and waiting until she accepted it before he sat down again.

Cara was surprised by his gesture and as she looked across the table and caught Katrina's glance, she could tell she was not the only one. Her cheeks burned a little brighter.

After breakfast, the Donelly women began their daily routines, starting with the morning dishes. Micro attempted to clear her plate, only to have it taken from her by Shannon.

"I'll not have a guest's hands be doing me own dirty dishes," the older woman stated matter-of-factly.

"I would like to help," Cara protested, although she was not sure just how much help she could be.

Shannon tsked and flitted tot he wash basin where Katrina was already wrist deep in in sudsy water. "I'll not have it, Lass," Shannon said, dropping the dish into the basin.

Calen and Tuck pushed back from the table, both just finishing the last of their coffee. Called put his hat on and they both stood ready to head outside.