14

Day four.

News of the dying Lasker boy spread quickly. Evanston, Illinois, Joe thought, highest gossip rate in the country.

Jean called in another favor for the family. His name was Father Healy, and he was willing to baptize Arthur even though Joe and Anna never attended mass. Until Arthur’s illness, even the Daltons were woodwork Catholics; they only went to church on Easter, Christmas, and the first week after their New Year’s resolution. Everyone made up excuses in the past, but now the in-laws were forcing a baptism to save Arthur’s eternal soul.

Joe and Harold arranged the sofa, recliner, and dining-room chairs to face the front of the room. They pushed the TV unit to the side wall, exposing the bay window and providing an elegant backdrop for the ceremony. They carried the oxygen tank down from the nursery and Anna did her best to hide it behind the curtains. Arthur was rarely off oxygen. Joe made sure of it.

The women made the arrangements the previous night. Cheryl would bring a turkey, Judy would bring a salad, and Mary O’Conner would bring the baptismal bowl from her church. Joe’s parents would come if only to see their grandson; the last time they stepped foot in a church was Joe and Anna’s wedding. Chet and Don were invited, but Joe laughed at the thought of their attendance.

But they did come. And so did Harold’s brother from Iowa and Judy’s sister Dawn. When Dad’s Station Wagon pulled up to the curb, four Lasker Department Store employees fell out of the back seat: Tim (from housewares), Carla (from accounting), Trip (from toys), and Sue (from small appliances). Everyone wore black.

Joe stood in the doorway hugging, shaking, greeting, and thanking. When they asked about the baby, he introduced them.

Chet and Don hung out by the grandfather clock. The others murmured softly in groups evenly spaced throughout the living room and dining room.

When Joe was certain no one else was coming, he cleared his throat and raised his arms. “Thank you all for being here,” he said, and all eyes turned to him. “Anna and I are grateful for your help and support, and we’re happy to welcome you into our home this afternoon. You’re a vital part of our tiny family, and we’re grateful for your kindness.” He pointed to the kitchen. “Our lovely ladies worked hard to make lunch, and we’ll enjoy it right after Father Healy... does his thing.”

Solemn applause accompanied the priest to the window where Arthur and Anna were waiting.

The ceremony was brief. Arthur was baptized with water on the forehead in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. When every breath began to pull the baby’s stomach behind his ribcage, Anna reattached the oxygen.

Jean removed a string of rosary beads from her purse and thumbed them—one at a time—until Arthur regained his color.

Joe became momentarily distracted Judy Hansworth as she scolded little Andrew behind the grandfather clock. Her voice was inaudible, but the twisted expression on Andrew’s face said enough.

The room fell silent as Anna placed Arthur in the bassinet. Only the hissing tank made a sound. Jean crossed herself once and kissed her rosary. Mom and Dad stood side by side, eyes on the ground.

Anna stepped to the middle of the living room and Joe’s stomach tightened. She inhaled, then scanned the downtrodden faces of her friends and family. “As Joe said, we’re both so thankful that you took the time to be with us on this important day.” She paused. “If you haven’t already noticed, there’s a giant elephant in this room and it’s ruining my furniture.”

Everyone laughed.

“Arthur is sick,” she continued. “As bad as that may be, we need to talk about it. As much as I love you, I refuse to let my family and friends mope around my house while Arthur’s time is ticking. He’s may be attached to that machine, but hold him anyway.” She scanned the faces one more time, smiled, and said, “Thanks.”

It took a few moments for the chatter to begin, but it did. The Lasker employees discussed music with Cheryl and Mary, Joe’s dad introduced himself to Father Healy, and Arthur received a toy rattle from Harold’s brother. The knot in Joe’s stomach relaxed and he too mingled with friends.

“I have a serious question for you,” Chet said after pulling Joe away from the crowd.

“What is it?”

“Do you think I could be Arthur’s Godfather?” Chet spun around. When he turned back, he had an orange peel tucked between his lips. “Awl make em an uffer ee can’t eefuse!”

Don keeled over with laughter. “He’s been planning that all morning! We stopped at the grocery store just to buy an orange!”

Joe shook his head. “Brother, you’re thicker than a five-dollar malt.” He patted Chet on the back, and couldn’t help but smile.

Chet spat out the orange and looked at Don. “Should we get it?”

Don shrugged. “Maybe we should wait.”

“Everyone’s happy! Let’s do it now.”

“What about the priest?”

“Who cares?”

“What if he condemns us?”

“For stealin’ a—”

“Well don’t ruin it!” Don tossed up his hands. “Just bring it in.”

Chet grinned and ran out the door. Two minutes later, he returned with a green street sign taller than he could reach. The sign read, “ARTHUR BLVD.”

The guests roared. Anna carried Arthur to his present and held his hand against the metallic surface. “Look what your uncles stole... just for you!”

Even Father Healy smiled.