14

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Make things right . . .

HE was sitting in the driver's seat of his convertible; the top was down and the sun was reflecting off his copper brown hair.

We ended up using his car because he wanted to drive. I couldn't let him drive dad's car. My dad would probably kill me if he sees his car being driven by some other guy.

He was wearing a red shirt paired with white shorts.

"Why were you ignoring everyone at your house?" I asked, staring at him.

It's unusual of him. O talagang hindi ko pa siya gano'n kakilala? I don't know.

"I'm not," sagot niya.

"But that's what Mrs. Guatamyel said."

Umiling siya. "Akala niya lang 'yon. I just can't face them yet. Dad and Mom adopted me because they could not reproduce. Turns out they adopted the wrong one. For the record, the dying one."

"Hey, don't say that. You're not dying," I said. His parents looked nice. The way Mrs. Guatamyel welcomed me at their house, I felt her sincerity and warmth. Kaya alam ko, mahal na mahal nila si Helix. They actually have a heart of gold. Because if not, they wouldn't even raise an adopted child. But they did. And it proved how genuine their intentions were. I was sure they didn't hate Helix for having cancer.

Pero kung ako rin naman ang nasa sitwasyon ni Helix, mahihiya rin akong humarap sa mga magulang ko. Siguro dahil ayaw kong dagdagan pa ang problema nila, at ayaw kong mahirapan sila sa sitwasyon ko. Pero gano'n naman talaga, 'di ba? A family will always be a family.

***

AN exhilarating feeling came to me as I realized I would soon be in one of the most amazing cities of this country.

I knew this trip was for Hel, but a part of me said that this was for me, too. I needed to breathe. I needed to unwind.

"Welcome to the city that never sleeps!" I yelled, my voice traveling through the air.

I shot a glance at Helix sideways, and there I saw him smiling.

Napangiti rin tuloy ako lalo. Ang ganda kasi ng ngiti niya. Guwapo na nga siya, mas lalo pa siyang gumaguwapo kapag nakangiti. Grabe namang kaguwapuhan 'yon. Try niya kayang mamigay minsan?

When we arrived at Vera Square, the cars overwhelmed me. Everyone in the streets was walking at a brisk pace, others were rushing somewhere, and others were just simply having fun. Everywhere I looked, there were people calling taxis, waiting for the bus' arrival, and rushing underground to the subway stations.

The vibes in Vera City really hit different compared to our town, De Grande. You'll get the New York City vibes here in Vera City. Just like New York City, this city never sleeps.

"First time being here?" Hel asked me, his eyes in front.

"No. I've been here once when I was fourteen. Ikaw ba?" I said, looking around as we walked through the side of the streets.

"I used to come here with Dest every December."

I didn't know if I was just hearing things, but the way he said it, I could feel his sadness. It's like he's reminiscing about the good old days. Maybe they're not on good terms, that's why.