Eyes in the Woods

Hi Readers! Thanks for the comments and votes! It means a lot to me! That's a lot of exclamation points lol. 😘

I open my eyes, only to see white. White everywhere. That's strange. I feel oddly cold, as if my body were wrapped in a cool blanket.
Snow.
I jump to my paws in fright, breaking through a thick layer of snow above me. I could have frozen to death! I look around in curiosity. Snowy trees, bushes, and rocks are all around me. Was I asleep? Yes, I decide. And snow fell on top of me, burying me. I shake off the remaining bits of powder from my shaggy coat.
Wait a minute. It's bright outside, which means it's daytime, which means I survived the night! Without Master! He'll be so proud when he...Oh. He's not here. I forgot. Suddenly the snowy trees surrounding me seem a lot less pretty and a lot more menacing.
My stomach gurgles, telling me I need food. What is food out here anyway? At the den I ate little pieces of hard kibble out of a metal dish. With my creature I drank her milk. I decide to try to find kibble, as I don't think anyone in my area would agree to giving me milk.
I sniff along the ground, searching for little brown pebbles like the ones in the den. Finally, after wandering in circles around my sleeping spot, I come across a large pile of them. I never thought I'd find this many! The scent of a large animal surrounds them. Hmmmm. Maybe it's their kibble.
I'm too hungry to resist. I take a big mouthful. And I spit it out, gagging and retching. That was not kibble. No. I trot back to my snowy bed and flop down, discouraged. How did I survive the night, anyway? Maybe the snow disguised me. Yes, that must have been it. There are plenty of hostile creatures out here that could have eaten me, but they didn't. But they would have smelled me. Maybe someone was protecting me. No, that's impossible.
I lick the snow, thirsty.
When I look up, something feels off.
I jerk my head around, looking for my source of uneasiness. Nothing. Huh. Must have just been my imagination.
I miss Master and Jamie.
I bend my head down to taste the snow again, but freeze halfway through a lick. My head stays put, but my eyes drift up and in far in front of me in the trees, I see something that chills me to the bones.
A pair of yellow eyes, staring fiercely at me.