Shattered By Broken Dreams

Zack shuffles from goot to foot looking at me stunned. "We can talk?"
I smile "Yeah after last night we sort of need to."
"Oh man last night....well ok" he says grinning.
"Have a seat" I say gesturing tk the three other empty seats.
He sits down and sighs "I'm sorry." He says looking at the glass table top.
"Zack I'm up here." I say to him.
He looks into my face and I see tears pooling in his eyes. "I'm so sorry Liz."
"Truthfully I am too. I haven't exactly held up my wedding vows." I say looking at him.
Buy then the house phone rings which is completely odd. Knowing only family has the number he grabs the handset sitting in its cradle on the table.
"Hello? Oh yeah here." Zack hands the phone to me.
"Hello?" I ask tentatively.
"Liz? Hey its Em.."
"Oh hey are the boys OK?" I ask suddenly worried.
"Oh they're fine. That's why I am calling.." Emily says.
"Oh I'll come get them right now I'm sorry. Zack and I were just talking."
"No that's why I'm calling can I keep them for the weekend?" She asks me.
"What its Thursday?!" I ask surprised.
"I know that..." She laughs.
"Emily that's four days are you insane?" I ask.
"No I'm not honestly I'm surprised you're acting like this. We want to practice uh me and Syn with kids. His idea I swear." She says laughing.
"Practice? Practice what?!" I ask really surprised.
"Uh being parents. Duh..."
"Are you fucking serious?" I ask laughing.
"Yes I'm serious and this isn't funny. Hold on Syn wants to talk to you." Emily says annoyed handing the phone to my best guy friend and brother in law.
"Midget!" Syn says happily.
"Ugh Hater Gates what have you concocted in that twisted head of yours?" I ask joking with him. Zack curiously eyes me. I shrugg at him making a face that makes him laugh.
"Look we're going to be parents and since we're the boys' God parents I figure we could practice with them. Before you object you and Zack need to talk and work this shit storm you're in out and how can you do that chasing these two little monsters?" Syn finishes clearly proud of his idea.
"Ok good point but..."
"No buts I'll come get your phones and you can spend the weekend working this shit out and the boys will be safe. Don't worry about packing bags their shit is already here. Ok?" He asks me.
I look at Zack "listen Emily and Syn want the boys for the weekend beginning today. So we can have some time and work on things. Is it cool with you?" I ask Zack.
"Yeah...I guess I mean how can we say no? It's not like they're not in good hands Emily is their pediatrician.." Zack says shrugging.
"Ok Syn you have your way. They get no tattoos piercings nothing like that and don't you dare touch their hair do you understand?" I say sternly.
"Yes mom got damn you're strict." Syn says laughing.
"Yeah well you'll understand when you have your own little shit ok?"
"You're probably right alright well if anything comes up I'll give you guys a buzz. For the record I think you and Zack make an awesome couple and need to work this shit out at all costs...but yeah talk to you later." Syn says laughing.
"Later." I hang up and look at Zack.
"Where were we?" I ask him
"I'm sorry.." He says to me looking down again.
"Look how about this you start from the beginning of the night and then we'll we can go from there."
"Liz I don't remember much" Zack says guiltily.
"I understand that just tell me what you know." I say smiling.
He takes a breath,"OK well Dan called and told me everyone was getting together at the bar down the road. I figured since you were busy and Syn was going I might as well. I didn't think I'd be fine long at all. I didn't want to drink because I had to drive home so I just kind of chilled ya know?" He asks me.
"Ok I get that." I smile.
"Ok well I don't know maybe around eight or nine I see Meghean. I didn't really pay attention to her she was talking to Dan and a few other guys...not surprising any ways. So she starts over to me and I kind of tried to blow her off. But she brought up VU and the new line. We were talking about that and then all of a sudden she like just started talking about you." Zack says looking at me.
"Talking about me? How?" I ask.
"Well like why you weren't with me that night. I explained where you were and why. She asked me a few times how things were between us. I told her great and up until that very moment they were." He says hopefully.
"The best times of my life
" I agree.
He smiles briefly then continues,"well yeah but then she was like well what happened with us? Meaning me and her and why I chose you over her. I tried to explain it was never like that. And it wasn't. Never. Her and I had been done for a few months. Hell she was fucking so many guys I mean seriously I don't get where or why things could have or may have worked. I'm not like that I swear." Zack says pleading with me.
"Zack I know just continue ok?"
"Ok so then she noticed my beer was gone so she ordered one for both of us. But I had to piss so I went to the bathroom. When I came back...well that's about all I remember. I remember her trying to touch me and I told her no. She just smiled at me so I guess I should've know then that something was way off." Zack sighs.
"Ok so you don't remember coming home? Or how?" I ask.
He shakes his head,"no but I guess Dan told me at least that she told him I got plastered and that she was going to drive me home then catch a cab only I don't remember that. But I think it's true because after you left I went to get in my truck and the seat was way up. I thought at that time maybe you had driven it or something. Maybe moved it to get your own car but that doesn't even make sense."
"No I always park in the garage on my side and you do too. The truck wasn't in the garage?" I ask.
"No another reason I should have known she drove. She never parked in the garage. She couldn't."
"Ok so what made you go to the doctor I'm confused on that." I ask him
"Well I felt really sick and kept seeing spots. So I got worried. So I went and requested a STD check while I was at it and that's when they told me everything. Well about the roofies and all of that." Zack's awkwardly.
"Ok so howd you find out about how she convinced you to bring her home."
"I asked Dan about that night. I even went to the and requested to see the tapes but there was no sound and nothing happened at the bar. So Dan told me it was like all of a sudden I started acting really drunk and really odd. He said he offered to take me home and I said no Liz just called me she's home."
"Must've been when Syn told you to call me." I say helpfully.
"Must've because I don't ever remember him telling me to call you. I barely remember seeing Syn. He stayed outside most of the night."
"Yeah Emily and Syn both said that. He said he didn't even know you left with Meghean." I agree.
"Yeah because he was barely drinking either at least from what I remember and I would've asked him for a ride." Zack says looking up at me.
"I know you would have. So what happened with Meghean and VU?"
Zack sighs again.
"Well she showed up barely dressed and matches right in the office and asked me where you were. After what you told me and I could find out I flipped out. I asked her what happened and she said that I begged her to take me home. That I came onto her but I swear I wouldn't Liz I swear I wouldn't ever do that. Looking at her makes me sick. I swear it does but the only reason she was still employed at VU was because of a contract." Zack's says to me with guilt written all over his face.
"Zack I know its OK I'm not even mad I just want to know what happened that's all continue its OK I promise." I say.
"Ok...well...so then she was like did she leave you she did didn't she talking about you. I said of course she did. And she laughed and tried to touch me. I flipped out I pushed her off of me called security then called HR and told them to fire her due to sexual harassment. That's a clause and it was on camera no fighting it." He says shrugging.
"Ok so I have to ask...you never ever thought about anyone else....sexually.." I ask scared of his answer.
"Since I met you no way. Only you. It's been you since day one. I....I puked when I found out that what you were saying was true. I was really sick. My mom showed me the video and I literally puked everywhere." He says grabbing my hand.
"Zack...I OK...well....I think I forgive you...I just don't know how to move on from this." I say to him.
"Liz...."