A Hidden Meaning (ON HOLD)

A HIDDEN MEANING

CHAPTER 1

My feet dragged slowly behind me as I trudged up the stairs to my fourth period class. Before I reached the last step I hiked my backpack up fully onto my back and prepared myself for the energy draining class that was sure to come. As I reached my hand out to grasp the nob of the door handle I first closed my eyes and took a deep breath, for I had become a little light headed.

I hadn't even opened my eyes when I felt a presence close by. When I did find the will to open them I realised my suspicions were correct, for when they were just a slight slither open I viewed a guy who looked to be around my age. He had piercing blue eyes and blonde hair that indicated the stereotype of a surfer. His pink lips were pulled up into a cocky smirk and as my eyes evaluated him, through doing so I also came to notice that his skin was sun kissed and he had multiple amounts of scars covering his legs.

I didn't ponder on that point for too long though because I became aware of my mouth hanging open and that I was becoming faint again. I could feel the effects coming on so I grasped onto the door handle tighter for support, but was unable to keep myself upright because it had been taken from my grasp.

In it's place stood the imposing figure of our principal. Miss James. Her once free and wavy hair had been pulled into a tight bun, that had specifically chosen strands hanging out to frame her face. The black top she wore was neatly cut to hang above her waist line and finished just before her pants begun. Her style was sharp and crisp. Strange for such a young person.

"Why are you two so late?" she asked through a tight jaw.

I wearily glanced towards the guy on my right, pleading with my eyes for him to answer. Thankfully he discovered an excuse, or so I thought. 

"Sorry Miss. My fault"

"Care to elaborate why Mr Murphy?" she spoke once again through a clenched jaw.

He stared at her for a moment before replying, as if processing the words one by one.

"O-of course, well, y-you see" he stuttered a bit before regaining himself.

"I," he spoke pointing to himself before continuing, " Was rushing to get to my class, and in th-that ahhh"

"Rush" Miss James supplied.

He nodded his head and started again. "Right rush, well in that rush I didn't see" he paused again looking towards me.

"Clare" I replied weakly.

"Exactly. Clare. I ran into Clare, and I guess thats how we ended up here" he finished with a smile and a hand resting on the side of the door that I wasnt occupying.

Miss James had her eyebrows raised skeptically and her head was cocked slightly to the left. She was giving us a look that implied she didnt believe a word of what had just been spoken to her.

I tried to give her a small smile, at the least to prove her wrong, but I was too overcome with dizyness and ended up falling from where I was leaning against the wall. I quickly regained myself though and even though I saw multiple hands become extended to help me I rejected all of them.

When I was fully standing up, and after many deep breathes I raised my head to see the Headmistress giving me a worried gaze. James was eyeing me with a similar expression of concern. This time I managed to give them the smile I had been trying for before and their gazes relaxed some what, but Miss James still spoke.

"Clare" she said, question already hinting in her tone with worry tinting the edges, "Are you okay?"

I nodded my head in an attempt of reassurance.