Chapter Five - New Way To Fly

[Please take a moment to vote for the chapter! Thank you very much!]

Hart stepped inside the dark room and saw Riley sleeping by the door. He hadn't moved ever since Hart laid him to rest after he had killed the unlucky man, and that was three nights ago. He wasn't sure whether he should start feeling concerned or not.

He crouched down next to Riley and shook him gently. Riley's body jerked away from Hart's touch, he was awake. Hart wasn't surprised. He rarely ever found him asleep.

"Good morning," Hart said.

"What's so good about it?" Riley muttered, opening his eyes.

His eyes were so dark, so empty, nothing like when Hart had first met him. He was slowly changing, his innocence shredding into pieces, disappearing into the air like dust. Hart was devouring him, swallowing the light until the end of the tunnel crumbled with no way out but through the darkness.

"Come with me," Hart said calmly, getting back up.

"No."

"I won't ask twice, Riley."

Riley shivered at the sound of Hart's dark tone. He looked up to meet Hart's terrifying blue eyes. They were so bright, as if he was staring right at the burning sun.

"No," Riley said, this time more slowly.

Hart crouched down again, closing the space between them, and he whispered, "I don't want to hurt you." He paused for a brief moment, and when he spoke again, Riley could sense the threat in Hart's voice, "So don't make me."

Riley glared back, propping himself on his elbows to get a better look at Hart.

"It's you who makes the choice. You kidnapped me. You make me sleep in this . . . dungeon. You are the one who is forcing me to stay here against my will. I'm not making you do anything."

Hart quickly got up again, straightening his back and extending his hand out to Riley. Riley grumpily took it and was pulled up on his feet. He hugged himself as Hart exited the dark room and walked towards the stairs.

"Follow me," Hart said.

"What are you going to do to me?" Riley asked, slowly following behind Hart's shadow.

"We're going to clean you up, get you into new clothes, and then we're going out for a little walk." Riley was surprised to hear an actual response from Hart, seeing as he was only expecting more pestiferous silence.

Riley looked down at his body, at the dried blood on his chest, stomach, hands and clothes. He liked the sound of cleaning up. He wanted so badly to get rid of the memories staining his skin. And clothes wouldn't hurt. He was tired of being shirtless in the cold dark room. It was uncomfortable. He never knew whether it was day or night, but sometimes he knew it was night when the floor would be colder than usual, so cold it seemed like it burned.

Now the walk he wasn't so exuberant about. Was he going to walk to his death? Was it a secret way of telling him he was going to die?

Hart took Riley to the upstairs bathroom, the one with the broken mirror. He had prepared Riley's bath before he even knew what he was doing. He didn't care about anyone, but he was fond of Riley. He couldn't deny his feelings, his human feelings. Of course he had them, he just preferred not to use them. He was better that way.

But Riley was like the blood that ran through his veins, something so important you couldn't live without, otherwise you'd die. Hart wanted someone, and that someone had to be Riley. He wasn't sure if he was ready, but enough time was wasted in loneliness. He needed to begin.