Chapter Six

A/N: I'm not sure if anyone's reading this, but if you are thank you very much! If you are reading, could you please let me know in some way (I'm still not really sure how Wattpad works!) so I know if it's worth carrying on uploading this :) Thanks! ~ Maddie xoxo

After Jude’s performance in History, my enthusiasm for today’s dance rehearsal has definitely waned. Not that I was ever enthusiastic.

Predictably, he comes in a few minutes late, grinning. ‘Well hello, Foxy,’ he says.

I scowl at him. ‘That’s not my name.’

‘But you are foxy,’ he tells me. ‘You’re as sly as a fox, with that cheeky bag incident. Who’d have thought it?’

I roll my eyes.

‘Or maybe you just wanted to be closer to me, hey?’ Jude suggests, with a wink.

‘Can we get on with this, please?’ I say exasperatedly.

‘Your wish is my command.’

Okay, so the dancing is amazing, again. I end up feeling breathless from all the passion and chemistry sweeping through us both, lost in the music and Jude once more.

Halfway through the dance, as he leans me back, then pulling me back up, I accidentally knee him in the stomach. Well, it wouldn’t have been accidental if I’d realised that I could have done it, but none the less.

Ouch!’ he says. ‘Feisty, much?’

‘Oh, sorry,’ I say absentmindedly, rubbing my hand across his injured stomach by way of apology. I go to pull away almost immediately, but he grabs my wrist, looking at me urgently.

‘Don’t stop,’ he tells me. ‘I was enjoying that.’

I properly pull away now, despite the smile that’s desperately twitching my lips. ‘All the more reason to stop then,’ I say.

Jude looks disappointed. ‘But it still hurts,’ he tells me, sticking out his bottom lip in a pout.

‘Oh, man up, you wuss!’ I retort, going over to the music player angrily. It’s like dealing with a little child. And I really do not have time for immature people like him, it’s just a waste of time.

But as he pulls me back into his arms for another run through of our improvised dance to the piece of music he chose, I’m hit with the realisation that this dancing definitely isn’t a waste of time. It’s the best thing that’s happened to me all day… which is definitely very different to how I felt when I danced with Dan. That was more like trying so very hard to create chemistry, while this just feels… well, natural.

It’s just a shame that I have to experience this with Jude.
*

Jessie is drawing hearts on the corner of her English essay. I watch her as she carefully sketches heart after heart with her trusty biro, completely absorbed in it. I don’t think she even knows what she’s doing: she’d never usually desecrate her beloved essays.

I poke her. ‘Sweetie, I don’t think Josh’d approve of you ruining your essay because you’re thinking about him,’ I point out, and she looks at me in surprise. I gesture towards her essay, and she glances down.

‘Damn,’ she says, as she realises what she’s decorating. ‘Oh no! My essay!’ She begins a search for some Tippex in her pencil case. ‘And the hearts weren’t for Josh!’ she adds, as an afterthought.

‘Of course,’ I reply, unable to hide a smile. That girl is smitten, and she knows it well and true.

‘But anyway, Kyra,’ she says, having retrieved her Tippex and unscrewing the lid, ‘what’s this I hear about a certain Jude Callahan and yourself?’

‘That stuff stinks,’ I say, pretending I haven’t heard her. So far today, five people have asked me about Jude and I- apparently several people saw us ‘embracing’ in the corridor. If only they knew that I was actually trying to get my bag back.

‘Don’t ignore my question!’ she tells me, pretending to be cross. ‘I heard from Alice in Biology that you two were locked in a rather intimate hug before lunch yesterday.’

I raise an eyebrow at her. ‘I’ve told you, Jude is the single most annoying human being to ever grace this planet. He stole my bag, and I was getting it back- no hugging involved.’

Jessie narrows her eyes at me. ‘Are you sure?’

I nod. ‘Look, he’s a complete… well, he’s so up himself that there’s no way I would ever want to hug him in the first place. And why is it going round the school anyway?’

‘Jude’s a popular boy, babe,’ Jessie says, with a shrug, carefully Tippex-ing over the hearts until they’re all gone.

‘And he knows it,’ I add, darkly. ‘He’s a bloody nightmare.’ Though he makes me feel as if I‘m in a dream when we dance. No. No, don’t think that.

‘As well as being your dance partner.’ Jessie screws the lid back onto the Tippex. ‘Are you free this weekend?’ she adds.

I look at her. ‘What do you think?’

She laughs. ‘I know, you’re never ever free, but I was just being hopeful.’

The bell rings, and we start to pack away. ‘I have work first thing tomorrow, followed by a rehearsal,’ I tell her. ‘Like every Saturday.’

‘And I work every Sunday,’ she adds. ‘I wish it was the other way round or something.’

I nod in agreement. Sometimes I do wish I had more free time, but being a dedicated dancer means I can’t have a social life. Or a very limited one, at the very least.

And so, at nine am on Saturday morning, I’m up bright and early, down at the dance studio. To pay for some of the dancing fees, I’ve started working as a dance instructor, doing sessions with beginners- usually just one offs. Sometimes I’m employed as a one to one, to teach engaged couples a routine for them to perform for their first dance at their wedding reception. That’s always fun, and that’s actually what I’ve got to do after my first teaching session.

I spend the entire morning teaching people the basics of ballroom dancing. Some of them are actually quite good, others end up tripping over each other’s feet and lie sprawled all over the floor, laughing at each other.

I go over to offer the latest fallen person a hand up, and she smiles gratefully at me.

‘This is great fun, Kyra,’ she says. ‘Thank you.’

I feel quite touched. I always enjoy these teaching sessions, it’s fun to pass on what knowledge I can to the others, and see their enjoyment as they learn the basics, and actually get to experience some of the amazing feelings that you get when you dance.

As soon as the lesson is over, I bid goodbye to all of my tutees, and dash off to get some lunch before the couple I’ll be teaching to dance arrive.

As it is, I’m still munching on my sandwich as the couple turn up. I recognise them immediately- it’s the famous actor, Alex Heart and his girlfriend, a fashion designer named Roo Snow. I taught them a one off session about six months ago, and they were absolutely adorable.

I quickly swallow my mouthful of sandwich, going over to greet them. I don’t expect they’ll remember me, but it’s still exciting to be getting to teach them. It hits me that they must be engaged, which they can’t have released to the press yet, or we’d all know.

I feel rather star struck and trembly as they notice me and grin, at exactly the same time. Jessie, Alice and I always go to see Alex Heart films and swoon over his rather tasty looks. But of course, I won’t ogle him now- he has a gorgeous girlfriend.

‘Kyra, isn’t it?’ says Alex, shaking my hand. He must see the surprise in my eyes that he remembered, because he laughs. ‘How could we forget our lovely instructor? We asked if we could have you specifically when we rang up.’

‘Aww,’ I say, genuinely pleased. ‘Well, that’s very flattering.’

Roo gives me a hug. ‘You were so amazing at teaching us that one time that we couldn’t not have you again!’

I think I actually might start blushing soon enough. ‘I take it you’re engaged, then?’ I ask, spotting the giveaway ring on Roo’s finger.

Alex is gazing at Roo like he never wants to look away as she nods proudly. ‘We’re hoping to do a stunning routine at the wedding that will shock the world,’ she tells me, glancing back at Alex with a cheeky grin.

I laugh. ‘Well, I’ll see what I can do. You definitely were amazing that first time you came, I’ve never had a couple get on so well.’

‘You hear that?’ Roo tells Alex. ‘We’re naturals!’

I can tell that working with these two is going to be a lot of fun. And it is. We work on choosing a piece of music, and then start discussing and trying out a few moves they’d like to work into the scene. They’ve already decided to have the piece ‘Sway’ by Michael Buble as their first dance, which doesn’t surprise me, as that’s the piece Alex asked me especially to play that first time they came.

I’m going to have to ask Jude to come too though, next time, because it’s far easier to demonstrate when you have someone to demonstrate with. Of course. Oh the joy of spending more time with Jude. Not.

When they leave I’m sad to see them go. It’s quite rare to see such a happy couple in real life, and they’re just a joy to spend time with.

I have a practice session with Jude now, and so I wait in the studio for him, stretching out and getting the music ready.

When he does arrive, he puts down his bag and glances over at me. ‘Planning to injure me today, Foxy?’ he asks,  with a devilish grin.

‘As painfully as I can,’ I reply.

He pulls off his leather jacket, and starts stretching out. My eyes are enjoying the sight of his finely toned body moving in such an alluring way, but I tell myself… well, I don’t know what to tell myself. I settle back and enjoy the sight.

He pauses, and looks at me. ‘Quite alright there?’ he asks. Oops. Maybe I was too obvious.

‘Uh, yeah,’ I say, feeling my cheeks warm. He’s smirking.

He stalks over, and proceeds to stretch out right in front of my face. If I thought it was a nice sight before, it’s nothing compared to the sight before my eyes now. I can see every last little detail of him, the slight stubble on his jaw, his long lashed eyes, his rather sculpted looking chest. Why are the annoying people the ones who are the most good looking?!

‘Hmmm, seems my Foxy lady is drooling,’ Jude suggests, and I turn away sharply. I just seem to consistently make a fool of myself whenever he’s around.

‘When you’re finally ready, can we please just dance for once?’ I say, ignoring his previous comment.

‘If you say so, Foxy,’ he replies. ‘I know how much you love being in my arms.’

I throw my water bottle at him over my shoulder, and I’m rather satisfied when it hits him and makes him yelp.