Chapter 26: Round 1

Trigger Warning! Find details at the end of chapter.

Crazy House Chapter 26

My breath catches in my throat as he continues to stare at me intensely. My brain immediately goes into panic mode, but I try to remain cool and composed on the outside. My hand holding the champagne shakes slightly and I attempt to hide it, but the younger man raises his eyebrow and smirks and I suspect he had seen my shakiness.

"I never properly introduced myself Juliette," he says, reaching out a hand, which I shake quickly. "My name is Theodore Bertrand, my great grandfather, Henry Bertrand, founded the institute in the 1940's with Ernest Arrington, who I'm sure you've heard of."

I pretend to calmly think for a moment before answering, even though my heart rate has just excelled to a hundred miles a minute. "I'm sure Elias mentioned him at one point," I finally say, which is not, per se, a lie. I can feel the truth trying to burst out though and I have to concentrate so hard to ensure I don't spill every single secret I know, I practically swallow my lips from biting down on them so much. I take another look at the champagne in my hand and wonder what else is in the glass.

"Well I'm surprised that the Arringtons haven't said more," the mustached man scoffs, "Ernest made the institute into what is today."

I nod my head, agreeing for the sake of appearances and not opening my mouth for fear of what I might say, but as I do this, I start thinking about what I actually do know of the institute; I quickly realize, it isn't much. I know that we are competing to become an intern there, though what that entails is still unclear, that the Professor is the president of the institute currently, and that apparently Ernest founded it in the 40's with this guy named Henry. But other than that, I know nothing.

"Actually," I say very abruptly, "I'm going to get some water and walk around for a while. I'm feeling a bit lightheaded." I press my palm to my forehead for added effect.

"Of course," Theodore says, "we want you to perform your very best at the first challenge tonight." Rather than say anything in response, I just leave. I probably offended their delicate, highbrow egos, but I sincerely don't care.

I find a table with some tiny finger foods and desserts and put down my glass of champagne. Next to the table is a chair, so I sit down, grab some food, and watch everyone else in the ball room. Some people have started to dance, it is mostly the investors with their significant others, but I smile when I see Thomas and Emilio on the dance floor, staring deeply into each other's eyes as they move slowly in a circle. Veronica, Karina and Jenna all stand in a corner, gossiping about who knows what. A second later Veronica looks at me and then turns back to her group where they all start giggling. Okay, so maybe it isn't such a secret, I think.

Sophie, Max and Amy are talking to some of the investors and my heart freezes a bit when I see the glasses of champagne in their hands. It has become increasingly clear that there is something in the drinks that cause us to tell the truth and for some reason the investors want to know every one of our dirty secrets; there isn't a fiber in my being the believes that this is a coincidence. As angry as I am at my friends right now, I'm creeped out by the investors a thousand times more. The problem is, how to tell them without actually having to tell them? I don't want this to seem like an apology, because it isn't, but I still want to help them.

I look around the room, trying to find a way to warn them. I see Nadia a moment later, talking with Sam and Miles and figure out my game plan, walking up to them a moment later.