Bloody Hands [OLD]

This is actually an english assignment for the beginning of the year. The real objective was for my english teacher to really get a feel for every student's writing style, and what punctuation and grammar we possess. I obviously have a lot of problems with my writing, but I'm learning.

The assignment said we had to pick from a list of quotes on a piece of paper and that was the first line/sentence of our short story. So, the first piece of dialogue was not my own, but a quote from another story I had to interpret and write off of. This is kind of really short but I'm bored and don't know really what I wanted for this. If it seems rushed towards the end, that's because it is.

So, enjoy. ^^

"With bloody hands, I say good-bye," Dazhawn mumbled, his voice faltering slightly. The thought of his boyfriend's soft face started to prod into his thick skull making him weak at the knees. Despite Dazhawn's mighty exterior he couldn't help himself when he fell to the gravel below him, sharp rocks puncturing his thick denim jeans and carving into his knees.

Dazhawn told himself days before this precise moment that no matter what he said, the small blonde boy he infatuated with all his heart would love him no less the next day than he would have the day before.

The only thing worse than breaking his boyfriend's heart was the attack for his life he would endure if he so much as uttered a word of his little blonde savior.

Alas, his white knight was merely a boy no older than his youngest sister, and unlike others of their time they knew what they wanted. There was no age gap that could build a barrier between them. They were capable of grasping the concept of each other's words with no misconceptions. Leo was only nineteen, but there was nothing he couldn't make sense of.

Leo, the boy who stood dumbfounded and terrified could not fabricate an elaborate phrase or sentence to reassure his boyfriend he was okay.

Dazhawn knew this night would come sooner than later, and no summer day spent together could make up for the excrutiating pain they would both be forced to face before he could see his white knight again.

"This is to keep you safe," he cried, repeating it many times in his head. In America, being black was a crime itself, even in the twenty-first century, and being a flaming homosexual only buried you deeper into a hole that no one could crawl out of.

"Dazhawn, what are you talking about?" Leo scoffed, his eyes sliding down to look at his boyfriend's hands as he could not understand the metaphor he had given him. Why would he even use that metaphor? He had nothing to be guilty of, so there was no need for that type of language.

"I'm breaking up with you, Leo," Dazhawn said as calm as he could possibly manage. It felt like his heart was pumping infected blood throughout his entire system while his brain was out of reach. How could he do such a heartless act of betrayal.

"You're joking, right?" Leo asked, shaking his head denying any possibility that Dazhawn was in his right state of mind. The two boys had only been together for no longer than a couple months, but Leo knew this was what he ultimately wanted. There was no taking back what was already done, and he didn't want to take anything back.

"Baby, if I go back there I'm a dead man."

"Then don't go back there. Stay with me -- or run away with me!" Leo was desperate with need for his boyfriend to pull through and stay with him. It seemed so out of the blue, it was so sudden that even the thought had bile rising in his throat like the day he found out his grandfather passed. This feeling was so strong, and Leo couldn't help but to be sensitive with the topic at hand. His statements held full meaning behind them, and even though they were a rash decision, and Dazhawn would never even take the offer, he had to try something. Anything, just to hold on for one more second.

This summer had been a dream for them, the days that they laid next to each other in Leo's club house, in the small gated community, away from the world that Dazhawn lived in.

Dazhawn held Leo closer, his larger hands holding the nape of his neck in a grip that would only be described as a lover's hold, but the feelings just weren't there, even if intended to be. Their eyes met each other quickly and they roamed each other's faces, trying to guess what the other would say before it even happened.

"Okay.." Dazhawn replied, eyes ajar as he stared at Leo's plump and soft lips, his finger tracing Leo's cheek bones. No matter what the time was it still felt like Dazhawn was falling in love, just the feelings that Leo would make him feel at random times would send him back to the first day they met. The lonely and pleading look sent Dazhawn back and made him remember why he protect this boy like a brother, hung with him like a friend but most importantly loved him like the most important person in his life.

He was gonna cry, no matter how much he tried to hold it in Leo knew he wouldn't be able to hold onto sanity long, his throat felt like he swallowed something sharp and it was weighing down on his chest like nothing he had ever felt before. They stood, totally unfazed by the surroundings they were in, birds didn't even chirp at all in fear of disturbing the boys.

"Oh.. okay what?" Leo asked, holding his breath as if anything that Dazhawn would say would make or break his entire future.

"Okay, I'll go with you, I'll run away with you and never look back, as long as I'm with you. As long as you're by my side we can travel anywhere in the world and see everything there is to see and it would never compare to looking into your eyes. If you're here tonight at the normal time, then we can go away together and start a new life, all on our own."

Tears instantly started to flow out of Leo's eyes and Dazhawn thought he had said something wrong, but the response he had gotten was what surprised him. He slapped his cheek lightly and then kissed it softly.

"Never scare me like that, you hear me? I thought I lost you! I will be here, I promise." Leo gave his boyfriend one more breath taking hug and kissed his cheek before running down the dirt path so he could go home and get his things, all the money he'd earned on his own so they could start off new to prevent having to steal. Dazhawn was left to walk home by himself and get his things.

Dazhawn took a moment to regulate his heavy breathing before he walked into the house that came to him frequently in his nightmares. He was almost tripping up the stairs to his room trying to hurry as fast as he could to meet Leo.

Dazhawn's family never said a word to him, until he tried to leave.

"Where you going?" Dazhawn's older brother asked, his eyes wet with anger. He was the one person in Dazhaun's family who would never accept him, even if it was the only way to save his life.

Dazhawn and his brother argued back and forth, and no matter how hard Dazhawn tried, his brother would not let him through the door to leave with his bag. No matter how much Dazhawn told his brother he had broken up with his boyfriend it was not enough.

When his brother swung at him, he never spoke a word, nor did he react in a fit of rage as his brother expected. He just wanted to go. He had no idea what he had signed himself up for. His eyes were swelling up preventing him from seeing his second attacker, his father, coming.

Leo was all that was on the boy's mind. Leo would want him to fight back, but he was no fighter. He was a pacifist and they knew there was no chance in getting him to fight back.

Even as Dazhawn lay on the living room floor, covered in his own blood, sore muscles screaming to be healed, he didn't move. He didn't want anything to come to Leo, and knowing his family someone might have. He just took the torture he knew he might have faced, and hoped he'd see his white knight again.

Leo waited for his boyfriend to come to him for hours. He sat down, paced and did everything to occupy himself until his boyfriend came. But he never did.