Chapter 5

There would be another occasion for the dress after all. Her beautiful red designer gown would be coming out tonight, she was ready to doll herself up as if she were attending the oscars. Sapphire had found her a willing participant for her little lie, and she didn't enquire about how this man was to be paid for his time, or for going along with the plan. It was seven pm when the doorbell rang, and Sapphie handed her the last of her glass of Chardonnay. Checking her reflection in the mirror, she almost didn't recognize herself. Sapphire had teased her often unruly mane into curls that fell in silken waves across her shoulders, her makeup minimal, save for the slick of red matte lipstick on her lips. Vampy and sophisticated, she gave sapphire a brief hug, before her sister disappeared into the kitchen, Barker following.

Swinging open the door, revealed a sight far exceeding her expectations. In a black, shiny tailored suit, and Italian leather shoes, he had to have an important job. Nobody dressed as well as he did unless they earned enough to fund their stylish image. He had designer stubble, giving him an edgy look and the deepest chocolate eyes she had ever seen. His short, cropped hair was perfectly cut, fitting in with his crisp look. Clean lines, and exuding confidence. At around five ten, he wasn't the tallest man she had ever seen, but he was plenty tall for her.

As she stepped off the doorstep to greet him, she felt her heart catch in her throat as her eyes scanned over him once, twice, three times.

'Stevie Bolt?'

He nodded, blushing, head hung slightly.

'I seriously thought you wouldn't recognize me Flick. I barely recognized you. I mean you were beautiful way back when, but now. Wow.'

She felt her cheeks burn, 'Did Saph brief you?'

It was his turn to blush. 'Yeah. And to be honest I was kinda hoping for a reason to come here anyway, so this works out for me too. I wanted to call you.'

There was electricity between them, there was no denying it, but then there always had been.

'Do you want to leave now, or should we go next door? I speak fluent French now, you should know that.'

She lowered her eyelashes, giggling.

Suddenly Bond didn't matter so much. She had been so caught up in moving, she forgot all about Stephen Bolt. Her high school boyfriend, and her fiancé, a lifetime ago.

'Forget my neighbour.....can we just catch up?'

There was no sign of Thomas as they left, and she made a mental note to thank Sapphire for setting this up. If nothing else, being with him was so familiar and comforting, it brought back beautiful memories. Here he was, seven years after they chose to go their separate ways, and she still felt the gentle flutter of butterflies in her stomach.

'Arent you gonna ask why I'm doing this.' She asked, as he drove them to an unknown destination. 'Because if someone asked me to do this I'd probably think they were a little cray cray.'

He laughed, a gentle, musical sound that floated over her. She remembered it well. Funny how you can spend years and not think of a person and as soon as they come back into your life, you wonder how you could ever forget the little things.

'I didn't really understand it. I still don't, but I also know you. Well, I did know you and....' He stuttered. 'Damn it's so hard to make coherent sentences when you're sat beside me in that dress.

She giggled and their eyes met briefly, but long enough to see the spark there.

'So you don't think I'm crazy?'

He smiled, 'I didn't say that' he teased, 'I just think sometimes in life you don't question stuff. You know'

She nodded. She knew exactly what he meant and she wasn't about to overanalyse the situation. As her eyes skimmed across his own broad, impressive chest, she pondered the thought of revisiting her intimacy with Stevie. Perhaps her pent up frustration might be closer to satiation than she thought.