Chapter 4

Song above is Deathbeds by BMTH, the inspiration for this book!

~

Cold.

It's all I could feel.

Its paralyzing hold, chilling my bones.

My skin must have surely succumbed to frostbite.

I missed the warmth.

I should wake up, but the soreness of my muscles was staggering. My head pounded on my temples with force.

I pressured myself to swallow, hoping to find relief of my dry throat, instead I was greeted with more misery.

I felt as though I had eaten glass and lacerated the inside of my throat.

I let out a cry, sounding more like a croak.

My hands held my throat, trying to sooth the pain.

There was too much affliction for my mind to recall the events of how I came to unconsciousness.

Instead, I opened my eyes, letting them roam. Even the bottoms of my lids felt slightly swollen with drowsiness.

The ceiling was high, covered in lengthwise wood pallets, like the walls beside me. 

A large window covered almost half the wall. The curtains flowed with the breeze that came in. Small dim moonlight entered through small spaces behind the curtains.

It made me realize that there were probably more wood pallets behind the window in an attempt to nail it shut.

The rest of the room was bare, besides the bed I was laying on.

The only way out, I assumed, was through the open door to my left.

As the pain in my body settled, I began to remember everything that happened before I had passed out.

Cam, Dante biting me, and blood lots of blood.

I sat up, each sensation of bone and muscle that had to expand and contract was like a kick to the lungs.

I ignored the strain of my body as I raised my hand to touch my neck where I felt it—dried up indents in the form of teeth.

My white shirt was covered in red.

My chest had dried up blood as well.

I looked around heedfully. Dante was nowhere to be seen.

Quietly, I allowed my feet to touch the ground. Shifting my weight so as to not make the floors creak.

I walked out the door. Casing my sides for any sign of those red eyes.

There were two more doors at the far right of the wall and at the end were the stairs.

Slowly, I descended. Stopping when I heard the creak of a floor board, only to have a rat run by.

Besides that, it was silent.

I made it down the steps. A kitchen came into view, but no one was inside.

The living room was next to it and just besides that was the front door.

The door opening to my freedom. I wanted to run to it, but I had to be smart.

It could be locked, but I had to try.

As I readied myself to take the next steps towards freedom, I heard a moan.

I thought perhaps I had imagined it, but as I stood there frozen, they became more clear.