Chapter 10 - Canapé

Chapter Ten

C A N A P É

Friday, June 12th

With one hand up against the toilet cubicle door, the other stuck behind the back of the ridiculous black heels I'd regrettably chosen during my rush to leave the flat this morning, I try with all my might to wedge my foot in. It's a losing battle.

So far my attempts at looking half presentable, like a woman who might deserve an invite to the launch of a high end fashion collection have all failed miserably. I've got on the wrong colour bra, my hairs a mess and the ruby red coloured dress given the thumbs up by Louisa doesn't seem to fit quite like it used to.

It's been a long week, loaded with wine and carbs. Late night takeaways. Long lunches and fatty desk snacks, so it's safe to say that finding the right outfit for Violet's party hasn't been an easy task. My usual black figure hugging dress is out of the question, and it seems that the Lanvin off the shoulder number I'd snagged at a sample sale has shrunk in the wash since the last time it saw daylight, and isn't in a forgiving mood.

But it's all I've got to work with. I've been stuck at my desk all day, pushing out overdue Top Ten features. It doesn't help that Millie's decided to conveniently call in sick either.

Still, with Ruby's help I've managed to clear through it all with a little time to spare so I can fix up my hair, and squeeze myself into a dress I'm regretting ever buying.

And when I step out of the cubicle, heels now on, the large sink mirrors reveal a slightly flustered, awkward looking woman in desperate need of some bronzer and a lint brush.

Dismissing my unflattering appearance, I swing open the door and step out. Walking isn't an easy feat, and the hem keeps rising up. Yanking it down so I can keep some dignity, I hear a faint low whistle. Jack steps out of the lift, cigarette packet tucked into the pocket of his shirt.

"Wow."

His grin is unnerving yet secretly I welcome it. Maybe I don't look like mutton dressed as lamb. Perhaps I am actually pulling off the sultry vixen vibe I'd been keen to channel.

"You look amazing. Didn't realise we had a date planned."

"Oh shut it," I reply slinging my bag over my arm.

Jack doesn't. It only spurs him on. His gaze fixated on my bare shoulders, the hint of cleavage. "Don't be like that. It's a compliment. You look really-"

"Save it. I'm in a rush."

"Going anywhere nice?" he asks, still blocking my path to the glass doors of the office. "I hope whoever it is your meeting appreciates the effort you've gone to."

"Jack, I need to get past okay?"

He stands firm. Digs his hands into his pockets. "By the way you never replied to my texts."

"That's what you're calling them?" I snort back in disbelief. Does he really think it's wise to go there? Try and make me feel guilty for not rushing to send back my thanks for receiving a barrage of seemingly drunken, misspelt messages to my phone the night before.

"Thought you might have wanted to come over," he replies. "It's been a while since we, well you know saw each other properly. Outside of work."

His I've actually missed you text, the last to be sent burning in my mind.

"Please don't remind me." I know it sounds cruel, my delivery harsh but I'm in no mood to be playing games. It's no fun to be reminded of my past weakness and lack of self control.