Chapter 1

Hunter

The room was dark save for a lantern on a nearby wooden table. My eyes shot open, heart pounding, mind rasing. I tried to sit up, but it was to fast and it caused a sharp pain to erupt from my right side making me me fill sick, I didn't know that you could feel so I'll from something as simple as pain. Clutching my side, I noticed it was wrapped in a cloth and it was soaked with what I could only imagine was my blood. Blinking away the tears it took my eyes a few minutes to adjust to the barely light room, not that there was much to look at. It was a simple, with only a bed and a table with a bunch of scattered papers and what looked like medicine bottles. The walls were brick from what I could tell in the darkness and they were pained with some strange markings that I couldn't quite figure out. The only odd thing that I noticed, save for the markings on the walls, was that there were no windows anywhere in the room. The only way in or out was through a wooden door that seemed to be reinforced with steel bars.

"I see you're finally awake." A voice said coming from somewhere in the room.

"Whose there? And where the hell am I?" I demanded looking around the room trying to place the voice.

"Oh calm down would you. I'm not going to hurt you." Whoever the voice belonged to stepped out of the shadows near the door, a hooded cloak covering the face from view. "As for who I am, my name is unimportant right now and for where you are, well... That's hard to explain."

"Those just seem like answers you would give a prisoner or something... And is telling me your damn name that hard?" I moved to get a better look at the person, but regretted it due to my protesting side.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you. Your wound is still healing and if you must know you are a prisoner here, but I guess telling you my name wouldn't do much harm if you're going to be so prissy about it. My name is Anna."

"Hunter and that's great information..." My voice was filled with sarcasm then pausing to let out a frustrated sigh, "Do you know what happened to me?"

"I'm surprised that's the question you ask after I told you that you were a prisoner here." Anna remarked moving closer to the bed.

"Well I figured that you wouldn't tell me even if I asked." I spoke as if it was the most obvious thing.

"You're probably right and as for what happened to you I cannot say I wasn't there. All I can tell you is that you were found out in the woods barely conscious and you had serious blood loss. You were out for two days." She was sitting on the edge of the bed now, close enough for me to see the basic features of her face.

"What are you doing?" I exclaimed puzzled.

"I'm here to look at your side to make sure an infection hasn't set in. Not that it could with the medicine we gave you." She answered grabbing the blankets and pulling them away from me before I could protest.

She was definitely thorough with her work. She had moved the lantern closer to the bed and helped me sit up so it was easier to undo the wrapping on my side. She worked with such extreme care, it was as if she was making sure not to cause me much pain or discomfort. I couldn't take my eyes off her hands, the way they were so gentle and how fast they got the job done. Once the wrapping was off only a few minutes had passed and I noticed how blood soaked the bandages really were. I made a mistake and glanced down at my side, I honestly didn't know how I was still alive. Four deep jagged cuts ran from my rib cage to admen, the skin around the cuts was a sickly green color, and it was still bleeding slightly, it was definitely going to scar. Just he sight of it made me feel sick to my stomach and I'm not one who gets grossed out easily.