5.

Barneget and Berkeley

5.

I watch as the veins in my arms become more profound beneath my creamy skin. I'm thinking about how these roads of blood are secretive, unknown to everyone, even me. I'm also thinking about slicing one, just to see what would happen. Only one. I've done it before in my early high school days to the 'beautiful' clear skin Barneget loved so much. The scars that still remain today have angered him greatly. I remember. He threw a glass of red wine at the cream carpet and yelled at me for what I've done, even though it was about two years after graduation. Though the stain has faded since bleaching the carpet, I can still make out the shadow of where the wine had splashed. It's just a pale pink blemish now.

I can almost sense the blood falling towards the tips of my fingers. The blue lines are becoming more prominent as my skin grows pinker. The fog in the bathroom thickens. I'm letting the hot water beat on my back to beat away the humiliation. The mocking laughter still echos in my head from earlier today.

When I dropped flowers off at Barneget's mother's house after the incident, she immediately knew something was amiss (intuition thing), so I told her my propostion for the newspaper had gone to shit. She smiled, hugged me, and told me that it'll work out- "Times are changing, Berkeley. You'll see." Stupid initiators and editors. I'm not going to give up.