Chapter 4

That afternoon something really strange must’ve been going on with those two. Jamie who never cries, poured her eyes out and Daniel who’s always affectionate towards Jamie, ignored her and only focused on going on roller coasters.

            “Dude, is something up?” I yelled, halfway falling out of my seat, as the roller coaster roared through turns, jerks, and drops.

            The wind blew in my face rapidly and down the drop we went.

            I turned slightly over to Daniel who was seated right next to me, who was flaring his arms up above his head and howling with excitement. He started laughing then turned to me and slapped me on the back. “What are you talking about, man?”

            “I don’t know…you just seem sort of different?” I tried yelling once more, but the wind was so overwhelming and took place of my voice.

            I turned back in my seat to check on Jamie who was in the car behind us, who voluntarily chose to sit alone. She had her arms crossed upon her chest and had the straightest face I’ve ever seen someone have. I could see the shiny glimmer in her eyes that made her look as if she was about to start balling her eyes out again.

            After exiting the theme park later on that night, we merely said a few words to each other and that was it. There was no conversation anymore and I just couldn’t tell what was up with both of them. I mean I knew I had the right to act strangely but why were they? Daniel and Jamie had come together and I had come separately in my own car, which meant that I went back alone and they went back together.

            My entire drive home, I couldn’t help but to wonder what Daniel and Jamie were doing at this very moment. Were they talking? If so, what about? Or were they completely silent the entire time? Or maybe they had started making out in front of Jamie’s house after he said his short, quiet goodbye? The thought of this made my stomach turn and I almost stopped the car in the middle of the freeway, but luckily got some sense knocked into me from the driver behind me, with his loud, irritating honk.

            I wish I was heading home, but instead, to another night at Carl’s Crab Shack.

            After getting off of the freeway and pulling into the parking lot, I glanced down at my apparel and sighed loudly. Once again, I didn’t have the proper attire.

            Huh, I wonder what kind of jokes I’ll get pulled on me tonight.

            And with that, I jumped out of my car and walked into work.

            That night had been a really busy night for us. It seemed as if parties bigger than 5 were coming in every 10 minutes and it was extremely troubling to seat all of them.

            The thing I hated about work was the aroma of food that I could only slightly taste on my dry tongue. My entire shift I would smell so many extraordinary scents coming from the hidden kitchen right off of the first grand ball room. Whenever I’d bring the customers their meals, I’d glance down at the very end to see how they looked, and boy did those dishes look delicious. It almost made me drool once, but I immediately caught sight of Lacey walking my way, and quickly wiped it away.

            Later that night as I restlessly put up the last chair onto the table, a faint humming filled my ears. I turned around and looked past the first ballroom’s double glass doors, to the cash register in the front and found Lacey closing up. When she caught sight of me, she smiled and waved and then immediately rushed over to me.