Chapter 20: The Graduation Day

Chapter 20: Graduation Day

Soundtrack: Run – Snow Patrol

Author's Note:

Montello High: School of Gangsters is nominated under Young Adult Fiction category for the Filipino Readers' Choice Award. So if you think the story of Summer, Van and the gangs is worth reading, vote for it. Thank you!

P.S. Thank you for those who came last Philippine Literary Festival! See you again! And the soundtrack came from the suggestions you gave me on Facebook. Thank you for feeding my play list! And oh, join SielAlstreim's Stories (Official Group) on Facebook. I know, this is super long for P.S. Hahaha! Okay, I'll go now!

-Siel

*****

Lahat sila ay napatigil at napatingin sa akin nang humahangos akong bumungad sa pinto ng mansion.

"Henrietta. What's wrong?" Tanong ni Mommy. Hindi ko na kinailangang sumagot sapagkat agad nilang nakita ang aking hawak. I saw both my parents turn serious and let go of Wycliffe.

"I think you need to sleep now, Wycliffe," my mom suggested.

"Why? What's going on?" Nagtataka at naguguluhang tanong ni Wycliffe. Hindi na niya nagawang mag-protesta dahil sa pagtapik ni Daddy sa kanyang balikat. It was a sign for him to let go.

Hinintay ko munang makaalis si Wycliffe bago muling magsalita. "I need to go back to the Freniere Mansion," deklara ko at aktong inihahanda ko na ang aking sarili. When my Dad saw me checking my gun for bullets, he stopped me.

"You also need to rest. You look so tired," aniya.

"But--" protesta ko subalit ginawa niya sa akin ang ginawa niyang pagtapik sa balikat ni Wycliffe. Why were we so much affected with this kind of tap on the back?

"I will contact the shop that delivered the flowers," wika ni Mommy who was now heading to the phone. Masyado nang gabi. I wondered if she'd be able to contact them.

"Algernon is not in the mansion, right?" Tumango ako. It amazed me to witness how my parents work together.

"I'll call Sebastian--"

"No, no. It's better if Giovanni knows about it first. He'll know the right thing to do. He's more logical than his older brother. And I'll be the one to do that, Henrietta. Go to your room and rest," pagtataboy niya sa akin.

Wala akong nagawa kundi tahimik na umakyat patungo sa aking kuwarto. I even caught Wycliffe outside his room pressed on the nearest wall to the receiving room probably trying to eavesdrop. Agad rin siyang pumasok sa kanyang kwarto nang makita ako. Saglit kong tiningnan ang nakapinid na pinto at saka tumuloy sa aking silid. I still wanted to think about the situation but that tap on the back my dad gave me left me an assurance that he would handle the situation. My body had that reaction whenever I feel that everything was going to be fine. My dad never failed to give me that. And since I was under the 'assurance spell' he casted on me, I was now too weak to resist the bed. It had been a long day.