Reunited in a New World

The next day the students walked into the music room and picked up a folder with the name of their instrument on it. 

    “Students, I have already chosen our piece for the upcoming concert.  I would like for us to sight-read it in half an hour so please tune and warm up.”  Maestro went back into his office and the students went to their lockers and closets to get the instruments.  Everyone was quiet and their movements were sluggish.  It was only the second day of school and Maestro wanted a new chart perfected in just a few days. Most of the students thought that the very idea was impossible, while others took on the challenge and began to warm up.

    Jericho walked into the office and asked Maestro if he could work on a project.

    “Well what do you play Mr.DeLuna?”  Jericho just stared at him.

    “Maestro, I’m just the stage boy,” Maestro rolled out of his chair and looked Jericho up and down.

    “You look like you would play.”

    “Well I don’t.”  He answered quickly and then just looked away.  His teacher was caught off guard and then left the office, with Jericho still inside.

    Maestro made it over to the podium and stood before the class.  “Is everyone ready to begin?”  The class looked up at him, a few of the veterans smiled while the newer students tried to hide behind their music stands.

    “Everyone open up your folders and take out the piece called Molau.”  The sound of papers rustling filled the air and all was quiet as the students scanned their music. 

    “Maestro . . . I don’t think that we can play this. . .”

    “I heard that this is a world class symphony so, yes, you can.”  The class looked a little worried since they just lost all of their best players and majority if the players they had now were freshmen.

    Lyra looked at her part and realized that it was just the first violin part; she smiled at how it looked.

    Maestro lifted his arms and began to conduct. It started off with the trickling sound of the flutes and clarinets.  Then the strings began to imitate them in shorter little plucks.  Through these sound the image of a frozen river melting in the spring was painted.

    All of the strings raised their bows and the full sound of their notes resonated through the hollow wood, the sound broke through the ice and the river flooded.  The sound filled the room and then it all stopped except for the sound of the harp which continued to play.  Lyra didn’t stop even though the others did, then Maestro cut her off.

    “Why did everyone stop playing?”  Maestro looked around the room, “Lyra good job, everyone else, shame one you for stopping in the middle of the sight-read.”  He walked over to Lyra and patted her back.  “Lyra would you mind sitting around,” She shook her head, “well I should have worked these parts out between the others first rather than do a sight-read.”  The Maestro went back to his spot and started talking to individual sections.  Lyra set her harp aside and read through the rest of her music.  All of it was pretty easy for her so she put it back in the folder and stared off into space. 

    What caught her eyes was that something was moving around in the office.  Why was someone in the office she asked herself? He looked like he was busy writing something down, then he looked up.  Lyra caught and held his gaze for a few minutes, and his face began to heat up.

    Lyra laughed at this and Jericho turned around to hide his shame.  She felt bad for laughing so she got up and started walking towards the office.  As she got closer she took note of his features, he had short black hair and his skin was very light.  Now that she was in reaching distance of him she tapped his shoulder.