Flying Blind Ch. 06

-------- --------------------

A few days later . . .

-------- --------------------

"Are we sure that this is the right place?" Camila asked, her echolocation showing her every nook and cranny of the enormous house in front of them. Somehow, she had gotten talked into going on a house-viewing expedition with some of the gang, headed up by Luis. Lauren had to bow out at the last second after getting called up on the shifter emergency phone to go investigate a suspicious looking individual, but she had promised to catch up quickly. She had insisted that Camila go along, and Camila suspected it was so that she could develop ties with people that were not always through Lauren.

"This is the right address. My uncle's secretary said that it used to be a residence, got turned into a set of law offices, then got foreclosed on when the owners were indicted for something or another. He said he'd be willing to buy it and rent it out to us for really cheap if we'd be willing to do some upkeep so that he could resell it down the road."

"It's fucking huge," she replied.

"It's sweet!" Ally said.

"It's the Munster House."

"Camila," Troy said, "you're being a real downer."

Camila did not want to admit the truth . . . that the house was incredible and that she would give her right arm to live there with a bunch of other people who understood who and what she was and did not care. She would not mind living with Lauren at all, though that thought gave her some willies as well. What if things between them did not work out? Would Camila get kicked out? It would be better never to feel that sense of community than have it and then let it be yanked away.

"Let's at least go inside," Luis said. "Look around. Seriously Camila, I think you could afford a stake in this."

The house was actually two full stories consisted of about ten offices or meeting rooms which could be used as bedrooms, four bathrooms, a kitchen, a parking lot big enough to handle everyone's cars, plus a large attic and finished basement. Luis had been given a key and code to get into the building, so they wandered inside.

"Dude, this could SO be the entertainment room," Troy said of the main conference area.

"Fliers could go second floor and up, non-fliers could take the bottom floor and down," Luis muttered, thinking over the logistics.

"Hey, there's only three fliers! You, Lauren, and Camila," Troy shot back.

"Guys, I haven't agreed to --" Camila started to say, but Ally pulled her back.

"Let 'em argue. Girls always get final say on living arrangements anyway."

Camila grinned in spite of herself. "And you want this?"

"Yeah, I do. I'm a herd animal by nature remember? Besides, there are certain advantages..." the horse-shifter added, her voice trailing off.

Camila switched on the sonar and saw that Ally was scoping out the well constructed ass of one Troy Valentine.

"You dog!" she hissed.

"Horse," Ally muttered back. "I'm a horse, and I need to get taken for a ride every now and then or I get cranky."

Camila blushed, though she doubted Ally felt any need to. "I'm sure any of the guys here wouldn't mind taking you to the rodeo."

Ally snorted. "If they can't hold on for more than eight seconds, then they're not worth my time."

Troy and Luis looked over at the girls, who had just burst out in a giggling fit. "What's with them?"

"I dunno. They're chicks," Troy said. "There's no figuring 'em."