prologue

P R O L O G U E                                                         

                                                                                     .          .         .

She's staring at the ceiling, like she's done one too many times before when she gets herself lost in thought. The only thing protecting her from the sudden chill in the atmosphere is a thin sheet, which she's sharing.

The body next to her stirs, and she snaps her head in the direction of a curly haired boy whose eyes are fluttering open. Her heart beats a million times a minute and she takes a deep breath, trying to make it seem less evident. 

At first he panics, those drowsy eyes widening in fear. She chuckles at this, rubbing her nose before scooting closer to him to reassure him that it's okay, she's okay, he's okay, everything is okay. For now.

"Cal--"

Her lips meet his, pressing softly against him. He hesitates, remaining frozen until the brunette takes one of his arms and carefully slings it over her waist, and that's when he kisses back.

Callie's breath hitches in her throat at the memory; when the entire world was made out of pillows and sheets and pretty girls and boys to them. She's staring at the ceiling again, but there are a few key differences this time.

1. She's not completely naked and vulnerable.

2. There is no boy next to her.

Both she is grateful for, and isn't at the same time.

Her head creaks to the side. Mariana is sprawled out on her bed, her covers spread on the floor, her sheets loosely tied to her ankles. Snores emit from her mouth, and Callie is surprised she isn't drooling yet. She's surprised she's never drooled, actually.

In need of a drink, Callie sighs under her breath and pushes herself onto her elbows, peeling off her comforter and swinging her legs over the side of the bed.

She tip-toes into the hall and down the stairs, making her way into the kitchen. She jumps at the sight of a familiar blonde digging into the fridge. 

"Oh, god," Callie clutches her chest, Stef getting startled at Callie's voice.

"Jesus," Stef blows out a breath and closes the fridge, "W-What are you doing down here?"

"I-I need a drink."

"Ha, don't we all." Stef rakes her fingers through her hair and laughs quietly, looking up to a skeptical Callie. "I'm just kidding," She walks over to her soon to be daughter and rubs her arms comfortingly, "Make it quick, okay?"