Chapter 16

This is not good. Not good at all. This is not supposed to happen. This can't be happening. It's all so wrong!

Jane waves her hands in the air walking over to us, "Whoa! No, no, no! Annabelle, may I please speak to you? Out in the hall?" Dazed, I stand up and walk out of the apartment, her pushing me along and closing the door. She grabs me by the arm and shoves me against the wall. "I thought you said there was nothing going on," she hisses. "That certainly looked like something! I mean, I'm just minding my own business, serving my food, then I turn around to see you two kissing!"

"I didn't know that was coming! I was caught off guard as much as you! And we weren't kissing! Our lips were just touching because we both froze."

She sighs, rubbing her forehead. "I think I have to talk to you about-"

"Jane, please!" I cover my ears. "I don't want to talk about that!" Not the talk. Please, not that one. Anything, but that. Not with her, or my mother, but some warning would have been nice. I'm so confused. "And don't you dare talk to him about this either!"

She folds her arms and sighs again. "Okay, but just do me a favor." I nod, willing to do anything to get out of the discomforting chat. She leans in and drops her voice to a whisper, "Tell me. Do you… like the boy?"

I open my mouth and shut it, then open it again, "I'm-I'm not actually sure. I think so?" I groan, "I'm confused. This can just complicate everything. So much can go wrong!" I cover my face. "Jane, how did you know you liked Arthur?"

"Oh, I never liked him. I always loved him. From the first time I saw him." I uncover my face to see her wearing a sad smile. "But I knew because I used to get this feeling when I was around him. Not like I was sick, but it was my nerves going haywire. When he touched me, ugh, I felt that and more. When I wasn't around him, I used to be the clumsiest person on this planet." She laughs at herself. "But when I was with him, everything worked out. I was so much… smoother, you know? I felt… complete. More stable."

I don't know if I feel complete around Oliver. That is not the case here, but that deep feeling has to mean something. My nerves going haywire, perhaps? But I've never felt any different when he touches me. We've held hands, he's put his arm around me and more, but I never felt anything but spite since we weren't too happy about our proximity this week.

"In a way, I married my own father. That's what my mother used to always tell me. You marry someone just like your father. Every girl does, intentionally or not. I didn't understand her at the time, but after a while I saw it. My father was sweet and kind and caring and every bit as good a man as Arthur was." She shrugs. "So I guess she was right."

A lump forms in my throat. My father? I am going to marry my father?! That's horrible! He was dreadful and- I don't want to marry him! "Do-do you think that's going to happen to me?" At least say maybe not or who knows.

"Probably."

"How do you know? Just because you and Arthur-"

Jane cuts me off, "Oh, it's not just me. It’s everyone I’ve met. It’s not like they’re consciously doing it, it’s not a choice. It just happens." She gives me a warm smile. "Do you think Oliver is similar to your father?"

I think hard. They do have some similarities, but there are some major differences as well. But even if he was the total opposite of my father, I can safely bet my mother never thought he'd turn out like he did.

"I don't know, but I don't know if it even matters. You know what our reality is. He hired me. I'm his employee. Neither of us should cross the line that separates us." But I want to, I think. But I also know that if by some miracle he did feel something also, he would be over it shortly, leaving my out in the cold. Oliver goes through girls like he goes through shirts. I almost want to cry right now. How is this fair at all?!